2004 Aset Engine Information

Hi,

I am interested in information on the 2004 Aset engine. My friend is looking at a 2004 Mack with 204,000 miles on it and it looks to be very clean. We have heard that the the engine has not had a good reputation for reliability. My friend is an independent operator so a bad truck could really hurt. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with this truck/engine combination? He hauls chicken feed and has to run the pto for 8-10 minutes using about 80 hp to offload the feed.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I am interested in information on the 2004 Aset engine. My friend is looking at a 2004 Mack with 204,000 miles on it and it looks to be very clean. We have heard that the the engine has not had a good reputation for reliability. My friend is an independent operator so a bad truck could really hurt. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with this truck/engine combination? He hauls chicken feed and has to run the pto for 8-10 minutes using about 80 hp to offload the feed.

Thanks in advance!

run away as fast as you can.....

the cxn is worse than the chn. but the 460 engine is a knightmare in either.

all 2004 are clean, with low miles, cause you can't keep them running long enough to get them dirty.

I had one myself, and i have met many others on boards such as this one. and we were all trying to figure out how to fix them.

general concences burn them and start over is the cheepiest fix. new truck payments a less than trying to keep an 2004 running.

it may sound like im exagerating, but im not...

look in the truck paper, ts hard to find a 2004 with 500,000 miles. most have just over 3oo,00o, thats when warrenty was up.

all dealers know about this. if a dealer is trying to sell you a 2004. ask him for a 200,000 mile warrenty on the emission system, and notice the expression on his face.

it cost about 30 cents a mile for emission repairs....

egr cooler and mass flow tube about 4 grand, pluss the tow. last between 100,000 and 200,00o miles. oil cooler screen, coolant push issues.

but they are very quiet and ride and drive lke a luxury car.

i would be offended if a dealer tried to sell me one.

hope this helps????