What Do I Have?

:mack1: Hi all;

I'm in the process of getting a truck from a friend of mine. He says it's a 1940 model EH,but I'm not so sure;from what I can tell,it more resembles a 1938. The picture is in my message in the introductions . Can any of the old timers here help me with identifying this rig? I'll be getting some more info from the owner soon,but I'm anxious to get started learning as much as I can about the truck. I have lots of questions!

The engine is a flathead six gas engine-what would the displacement likely be? What years did they use this engine? What is redline for it? What kind of road speed could I reasonably expect? I'm assuming it'll run about 50 or so. I know the word economy doesn't really fit this truck,but what kind of mileage should I be expecting. I'll be installing a flatbed probably about 16 feet long,and doubt I'll be hauling much over a couple of tons on it. I was told it has a 5 speed and a 3 speed Brownie;is this possible,or likely? I couldn't get under it to see what boxes it has.

Are taller wheels/tires than the 10.00X20's available for it?

Last,for now-was this truck available with propane power,and would that be worthwhile?

Thanks for any info you can throw my way! I'm getting really jazzed about getting it on the road again,and you guys will have a lot to do with this project's success!

Speed :SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

I'm not sure on the year, but it does look like an EH...you should probally get the serial number and call the Mack Museum. They can tell what model and year it is from the vin number.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

:D Thanks,Barry;

I'm waiting for the current owner to find his papers on the truck so he can email the VIN,and answer a couple of questions I have about chassis length and whether this truck has a tachometer. Once I have the VIN,I'll do as you suggested and contact the Mack Museum to learn more about the truck.

Would this be one of the "Jr" Macks?

By the way-in my intro message I told of plans to trade my '62 Chevy for the Mack;another possibility has presented itself,I'm selling my motorcycle (1968 Triumph TR6-R) to another friend for enough to buy the Mack and cover the basics to get it roadable. So it looks like I'll be able to keep my little truck too. ;)

Just out of curiosity,what sort of options would there be regarding re-powering this truck if the engine isn't useable? do you know if there are bellhousing adapters available to fit the transmission to a newer or different engine? :idunno: I fully intend to run it pretty much as is,mechanically,but I won't give up on the truck if the engine is bad. :SMOKIE-LFT:

Speed

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

• 4 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the current owner to find his papers on the truck so he can email the VIN,and answer a couple of questions I have about chassis length and whether this truck has a tachometer. Once I have the VIN,I'll do as you suggested and contact the Mack Museum to learn more about the truck.

By the way-in my intro message I told of plans to trade my '62 Chevy for the Mack;another possibility has presented itself,I'm selling my motorcycle (1968 Triumph TR6-R) to another friend for enough to buy the Mack and cover the basics to get it roadable. So it looks like I'll be able to keep my little truck too. ;)

Just out of curiosity,what sort of options would there be regarding re-powering this truck if the engine isn't useable? do you know if there are bellhousing adapters available to fit the transmission to a newer or different engine? :idunno: I fully intend to run it pretty much as is,mechanically,but I won't give up on the truck if the engine is bad. :SMOKIE-LFT:

Speed

Talk to me a little bit about the 62 Chevy. Thanks

Speed

Talk to me a little bit about the 62 Chevy. Thanks

Speed,

The photo of your future truck is definitely an EH or heavier. The heavy 'E' models share this grille design, while the EG and smaller 'E' models shared their own unique grille.

The engine is probably an EN354 or an EN354A. The EN354 had an updraft carb, while the EN354A had a downdraft carb. According to a Mack sales brochure the displacement of this engine was 354 inches with 121 HP @ 2700 rpm and 270 lb-ft of torque @1400 rpm.

The model can be determined by a quick look under the bulldog at the top of the grille. A small marque will identify the model (i.e. EH, EQ, etc) The VIN tag is on the seat base inside the passenger's door. The S/N will indicate the model (EH?) and the sequential production number. If the truck was originally a tractor the model EH will be followed by a T. This designation was a common practice for Macks.

Barry's suggestion regarding the museum is the best way to get the most accurate information about the truck. An e-mail to the museum (corporate tab on macktrucks.com - contact us) will result in a setting ticket and distribution history for the unit.

If the truck is equipped with a 354, parts are available to keep it running.

The EQ I have been driving will travel at 55 mph, but really prefers 40-45. Your truck, unlike an EQX1D was intended for highway use and should perform at satisfactory highway speeds.

Early 'E' models used a three bolt spring hanger cap to secure the leaf spring to the chassis. Later(probably 1949) they changed to a four bolt spring hanger cap. They also added steel C-channels below the spring caps, fore and aft of the steering axle, to increase frame stiffness. I included a picture of a 1950 EQ for comparison to your truck. Also, this is about the same time the fixed windshield, door vent windows, and lower cab vents were introduced.

Friends and family that drove 'E' models to make a living are quick to point out the improvements made over the twelve year run. My Dad cut his teeth on old Macks. I thought the restoration of an EQ would be a great activity that we could work at together. As the project moved along, my Dad was never anywhere near the 'E' model. I asked a mutual friend why he (my Father) was not interested in working on the EQ. He thought my Dad's words were something like "I had to work on those b#&%ards when I was trying to feed a family, I'm sure as h#ll not going to work on one now that I have a choice. Now that the truck is nearing completion, he is just as excited to see it roll down the highway as our friends that are old enough to remember driving (and mostly working on) these early bulldogs. The driver and mechanic WAS one in the same.

I hope this is enough to get you started until Don or Snowy can give you the facts from the museum archives.

(Consider a donaton to the museum)

post-1082-1168475185_thumb.jpg

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Refer to new topic-It won't be my Mack.

Thanks!

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT: