Rear Axle Leak

macattack

this seems odd to me. this is not a mack but a international. i developed a wheel seal leak about 3 weeks ago and i am in the process of getting it replaced. but last week i noticed what looks like a fair bit of oil coming out of the vent hole at the top of the housing.

what is going on? do you guys think because the wheel seal is leaking it has something to do with it??

thanks

this seems odd to me. this is not a mack but a international. i developed a wheel seal leak about 3 weeks ago and i am in the process of getting it replaced. but last week i noticed what looks like a fair bit of oil coming out of the vent hole at the top of the housing.

what is going on? do you guys think because the wheel seal is leaking it has something to do with it??

thanks

It sounds to me something has gotten stopped up causing the pressure to build making the wheel seal leak.

mike

It sounds to me something has gotten stopped up causing the pressure to build making the wheel seal leak.

mike

I think you're on the right track there. Maybe an overfilled differential or inter-mixed gear lubes.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I think you're on the right track there. Maybe an overfilled differential or inter-mixed gear lubes.

Your right rhasler,

I should have been a Gynecologist instead of a shade tree mechanic. I actually have more experience and time with the first field of business. :thumb:

:pat:

mike

thanks

Checking the axle vents should be part of your regular pm program. It is a fact of life that they will clog under normal to dusty conditions. most vents have a cap which is loose on the stem. Pick up on the cap with your fingers and spin it, that is all it takes.

A pressurized housing could lead to a failed seal. Time. temp, and mechanical also can contribute, although a wheel seal can fail for no apparent reason at all.

Understanding how and why components function, along with good pm help, but sometimes just to get your attention a truck will reach out and bite you on the ass anyway.

Checking the axle vents should be part of your regular pm program. It is a fact of life that they will clog under normal to dusty conditions. most vents have a cap which is loose on the stem. Pick up on the cap with your fingers and spin it, that is all it takes.

A pressurized housing could lead to a failed seal. Time. temp, and mechanical also can contribute, although a wheel seal can fail for no apparent reason at all.

Understanding how and why components function, along with good pm help, but sometimes just to get your attention a truck will reach out and bite you on the ass anyway.

i hear you. yah i do have a leak at my rear wheel that is in the process of getting to a shop to get it fixed. just really couldnt understand why oil would come out of the vent also? anyways i try to keep these vents clean. thanks for the info guys.

great site.