1952 A Model Steering Gear Box

fxfymn

The steering gear box on my 1952 Type 75A has quite a bit of movement relative to the frame. Frankly, it is a bitch to see as its wedged in between the frame and the engine, but it appears to be loose on the mount.

The truck steers fine and the king pins, bushings, and all other steering parts appear to be tight. It has brand new tires so I can't detect any wear patterns on the tires. But, the steering wheel has about 20 degrees of play which I can see is apparently caused by the steering gear box moving on its mount.

I believe the 75A uses the same chassis as the 40A.

It appears to me that it is mounted to the frame by some type of a round mount that is secured to the frame with the steering box in turn clamped to that mount. It appears to be secured by two large bolts that draw the clamp together. Is that correct?

Has anyone removed their A model steering gear box from the truck? If so can you offer me any tips of what I'm getting into? Anyone else had a problem with the steering box loosening on the mount?

As I age I'm really trying to get away from the "go ahead and start turning wrenchs you'll figure it out after you break something" mode I always used. The Mack manual has nothing beyond how to adjust the steering gear.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!