Sending Units

Picked up 4 oil temp gauges and have a few questions

1st

I need to find sending units for them. My local dealer said the sending units are more than the gauges? (about $55 each) dont need $200 in sending units! anyways does anyone know who makes the mack gauges so I can call them up or does anyone know the ohm range for them? this is for engine,trans,FR tandem, RR tandem oil temps. single wire sendng unit

2nd

where are the common locations to instill each sending unit?

Trent

Most old transmissions and diff's have a hole about half way between fill and drain plugs.

Thats where the senders go.

As far as ohm readings go, I don't have a clue!

You can drop the sender in a pot of water and bring it to boil - - - that's 212 degrees and go from there.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

ok Picked up the new oil temp gauges tonight. Saw under the lens that they are MFG by Teleflex. Did a search and came up with this page with the sending unit info

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/teleflex%20senders.pdf

says I need a type E sending unit. (SW style) for 140-320 F gauge.

next question is what thread size is the most common on the block,trans,and rears? I remember seeing some ports with plugs in them but Im not up on the thread size. anyone want to take a guess or know off the top of their head. these are the 3 sizes

1/8 NPT

3/8 NPT

1/2 NPT

ok Picked up the new oil temp gauges tonight. Saw under the lens that they are MFG by Teleflex. Did a search and came up with this page with the sending unit info

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/teleflex%20senders.pdf

says I need a type E sending unit. (SW style) for 140-320 F gauge.

next question is what thread size is the most common on the block,trans,and rears? I remember seeing some ports with plugs in them but Im not up on the thread size. anyone want to take a guess or know off the top of their head. these are the 3 sizes

1/8 NPT

3/8 NPT

1/2 NPT

On the gear boxes you'll probably be using 1/2" NPT.

• Like 1

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"