220 /262 Cummins Need More Power

jackling 54

Ok ,well it runs fine just slow.I want to add a air-air cooler,and what else makes sense to do ?? bump up the fuel pump ? bigger injectors, BIGGER turbo ?? what turbo would work better. I read that the turbo i have only pushes around 7 psi...Any help would be great.And were to get the parts .Thanks guys..

The 743 cid engines have much the same block, crank, rods, and heads. With HP 195-335 acheived from the right combination of camshafts,cam timing, pistons, injectors, dampeners, supercharcers,and turbochargers.

Intercooling and aftercooling will make a difference, but it all has to be in the right combination to get the performance for a long engine life.

A friend of mine said I am gonig to put a turbo on my 220, I said what for? I want to hear it whistle. OK.

The last whistle he heard was the head falling from the sky when it blew off.

FW

A 220 can be a sweet running engine by turboing it and slowing the timing down some but remenber that the cranks are weak for as more HP and they are hard to find. The liner protruction needs to be at its max height and still you will have head gasket problems.

the low compression pistons that is needed in a 743 block for hi HP is hard to find if even made.Injectors and pump is no problem and cam does not need changed but retimed and it is same cam as a NTC250.

glenn akers

A 220 can be a sweet running engine by turboing it and slowing the timing down some but remenber that the cranks are weak for as more HP and they are hard to find. The liner protruction needs to be at its max height and still you will have head gasket problems.

the low compression pistons that is needed in a 743 block for hi HP is hard to find if even made.Injectors and pump is no problem and cam does not need changed but retimed and it is same cam as a NTC250.

so basically leave the turbo alone ? maybe just a little more fuel ( i think to do that i need to pull the pump and have it rebuilt for more pressure ?)is it worth putting in bigger injectors and who would no what to replace them with..lol thanks guys.

Any body left alive in California that can or knows how to work on these and get the combo right? ( a shop )