Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel

I posted this on the ATHS site, I know some of us here also have Powerstroke engines so maybe this will help somebody.

early last week I had a diesel smell in in the cab if of my F250 Super Duty, It would come and go for about 4 days.

Saturday AM I crawled all over the Powerestroke engine looking for a fuel leak,

I could not find any signs of a leak untill I pulled the fuel filter cover off and noticed a small puddle of fuel in the valley between the heads. I got back down off the engine and started it up and with a flashlight I found that the water seperator drain was leaking pretty good! I shut the engine down and got out my Torx drivers (#20) and tightend up the housing on the drain. I did not drive the truck much last weekend, only about 15 miles to move some hay, Tuesday AM I noticed the smell was back and so I went online to thedieselstop.com and found a thread where A LOT of other Powerstoke owners are having this same problem! It seems to be the consensus that the ULSD is eating the factory O rings in the drain! Ford wanted $48 for a rebuiled kit but I found a fellow that would sell me just the O rings for $5 and that includes shipping!

One of the techs who frequint thedieselstop.com posted that over the last two years they had installed two sets and since the ULSD has come out they have installed over 75! the O rings I am getting are Viton orange 75, they are supposed to be impervious to the new ULSD.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

I've been telling my customers for months that this ULSD is gonna be bad! Bad on orings, seals & valves and also bad for gelling and waxing! The new fuel will have a higher pour temp causing it to gell sooner than the old fuel. We are recomending FPPF Lubricity & Polar Power...but any brand will help keep his ULSD beast at bay!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

• 1 month later...

Ive heard adding Marvel Mystery Oil will help - I bought a new bottle last night; it even had a new sticker on there refering to helping lube diesels with this new '07 low sulphur fuel.

Does anyone know if POWER SERVICES or HOWES will prevent this ?

I have three diesel powered vehicles to consider, kinda concerned.

Brad

Cuba, Mo

1960 Mack B61

1985 Mack R686

1970 IH Loadstar 1600