Hey folks,

Just bought a used 2005 Mack CV 713 Granite tri-axle dump truck with the Allison 6speed automatic transmission. I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me...

What kind of fuel economy should I expect?

Why does the Lightning Bolt light come on when the truck is carrying a load?

What should my gauges be reading while running? Oil Pressure, Coolant temp, Trans temp, etc.

The cooling fan seems to come on a lot, and is very loud...

Why does the circle with an X light come on after I go down a grade at 55mph???

Any help appreciated.

Z

Steve Z

Logistixx Transport, LLC

Port of New Orleans, LA

This truck is a bit newer than my 2000 CX I don't know if the fault codes read the same on the EGR engines. The lightning bolt in the dash is your "checkengine" lamp and you need to read the code in the V-MAC book or post it here, someone should be able to help.

Definitely want to solve this one soon. The X with circle is the shut down indicator. Only a serious fault code would trigger this one. I don't know if the Auto trans would trigger the fan clutch or shut down, but I would start there since the symptoms appear under load and on grades. Hard to be sure without a specific code though. Good luck.

Gregg

The engine shutdown light (red X) sounds like it may be related to a low coolant level. When going down hill the coolant is probably sloshing away from the sensor. This may have something to do with your other problems (fan engagement, etc). The fan is just loud naturally.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"