350 Cummins No Power On Acceleratio

BULLDOG2058

I recently started restoring a 1980 F700 Cabover Mack. 350 cummins, 10 Speed. The tractor had been setting for about 5 years. I installed new batteries and she fired right off. I drove her about 30 miles home with no major problems. I've been starting the tractor at least weekly while working on it and no problems. Last nite I took her out to knock the cob webs off her and she started fine but had no power on acceleration. I just barely got it into fifth gear before she ran out of steam. I changed the fuel filter today with no improvement. Stumped and aggrivated.

I recently started restoring a 1980 F700 Cabover Mack. 350 cummins, 10 Speed. The tractor had been setting for about 5 years. I installed new batteries and she fired right off. I drove her about 30 miles home with no major problems. I've been starting the tractor at least weekly while working on it and no problems. Last nite I took her out to knock the cob webs off her and she started fine but had no power on acceleration. I just barely got it into fifth gear before she ran out of steam. I changed the fuel filter today with no improvement. Stumped and aggrivated.

truck has been sitting 5 years so has the fuel. Drain the tanks, make sure all the fuel lines are open & in good condition to ensure proper volume of fuel, and start again with fresh fuel and filters.

Also check that no brakes are dragging.

Check the aneroid diaphragm. Midway on the back side of the pump a steel line goes up and makes it's way to the after cooler. Disconnect the line at the after cooler, and apply no more than 15 lbs. air pressure. A hand held vacume-pressure guage is best. It has to hold pressure. Before you get too involved, old fuel lines are prone to come apart inside and suck together. Make up, or use a known good feed line , run it into a five gallon container, and go for a short ride. short because return fuel will still be going into the tank.

I had a 1980 White Road Boss with a 350 big cam Cummins (855 block) years ago and I lost all power one evening pulling a lowboy. I replaced the fuel filters and no improvement. An old hand got on the radio and said to take the plug out of the top of the injection pump and remove/replace the small filter under the plug. It ran like a champ after I did that. If I remember correctly, it was just a stud looking thing on the top of the injection pump that unscrewed and there was a little screen filter under it. He was suprised mine still had the filter, he said most drivers threw them away soon after the truck left the dealer lot. I went ahead and replaced it, but the engine had two filters before the pump that should be catching everything. Yours may be different, hope this helps-