1973 Mack Cf600

Truck 804

Man, those old macks are indeed tough. My department officially retired an original 73 CF 600 on Sun. that has served the taxpayers faithfully since new. Never been refurbed , still wearing original paint, open rear cab, etc. Has a 65' Snorkel/ Tele Squirt aerial on it with Pierce cabinetry. It definitely was cool to see it run every day. So much steel in it compared to the new ones. I'll try to post some pics on the site when I can. BTW, it was replaced by a 100' straight stick E-One. My 1st post. Hopefully, I'll continue.

Man, those old macks are indeed tough. My department officially retired an original 73 CF 600 on Sun. that has served the taxpayers faithfully since new. Never been refurbed , still wearing original paint, open rear cab, etc. Has a 65' Snorkel/ Tele Squirt aerial on it with Pierce cabinetry. It definitely was cool to see it run every day. So much steel in it compared to the new ones. I'll try to post some pics on the site when I can. BTW, it was replaced by a 100' straight stick E-One. My 1st post. Hopefully, I'll continue.

Any idea what the disposition was of the old CF? I've been looking to get a 'squirt for a fire truck collector's club I belong to here in the Tampa area and it sounds like that truck might be right up my ( our ) alley. Any information and contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Tampa

• 8 months later...

CF600 series are what REAL fire trucks are suppose to look like. As for tough,consider FDNY ran them HARD for 10 years front line service,and 5-7 years as reserves,then they get snatched up in a heartbeat by us collectors,and especially volunteer fire depts. I personnally know 4 FF's from FDNY that miss thier reliability,and have told me some guys put thier ALF/Freightliners OOS on purpose,just so they get a CF to use. BUT thier reserve numbers are dwindling fast. Though FDNY still buys mack chassis for thier sattelite unit,and special service units.

James Spurlock

Palmyra,Pa