Updating L Model Brakes

Flynpenguin

The roto-chamber narrow brakes on my LT are in need of some serious attention, not to mention they are sorely lacking in stopping ability. What does it take to retro fit later model hubs and wide brakes with standard #30 chambers? I have 2 sets of R model bogies with S cam brakes, tho the have spoke hubs. Do wedge brake drum/hubs interchange with S cam drum/hubs? My LT hubs have renovable splined axle caps. Do hubs with one piece axles interchange?

The roto-chamber narrow brakes on my LT are in need of some serious attention, not to mention they are sorely lacking in stopping ability. What does it take to retro fit later model hubs and wide brakes with standard #30 chambers? I have 2 sets of R model bogies with S cam brakes, tho the have spoke hubs. Do wedge brake drum/hubs interchange with S cam drum/hubs? My LT hubs have renovable splined axle caps. Do hubs with one piece axles interchange?

Kelly,

I have done a couple of swaps of later Mack brakes to early housings. One was our F-model with wedge brakes to s-cams, the other is a set of b-model housings with narrow shoes and rotochambers to spring brakes. For the wedge brakes, just the brake spiders (brackets that hold the shoes and s-cam shafts)needed to be changed. As long as they are Mack they should bolt on. You may need to switch them from side to side to get them to clear everything. The shoes were the same width so the wedge brake drums worked fine.

The bolt paterns on the splined hubs are different than the one piece axle so they won't interchange. I'm over near Santa Rosa, CA if you ever get this far west and want to take a look at the conversion. There are 6-8 other LT's over here as well.

Brad

Edited by mackaholic

Thanks for the info Brad. My question regarding the removable axle caps was whether the hubs for one-piece axles would fit my housings, which have a surface outboard the retaining nut for the seal in the removable caps. Do the hubs for one piece axles have enough clearance behind the axle flange to clear the housing? I'd prefer to use hubs/drums for wedge/s-cam brakes with the removable axle caps, but the only budd hubs I have are for one-piece axles.

Thanks for the info Brad. My question regarding the removable axle caps was whether the hubs for one-piece axles would fit my housings, which have a surface outboard the retaining nut for the seal in the removable caps. Do the hubs for one piece axles have enough clearance behind the axle flange to clear the housing? I'd prefer to use hubs/drums for wedge/s-cam brakes with the removable axle caps, but the only budd hubs I have are for one-piece axles.

I know what you're refering to but I don't know if they will interchange. You can alays pull them both apart and start measuring.