Clutch Adjustment Article

several years ago before the format changed here there was a tips and tricks kinda post on how to set the clutch it was in the wiki portion of the page !It was a Mack TSB letter head it was posted by one of the members here I'm tring to find a copy of that TSB or Helpfull tips , (service Hints ) or ( what ever)! It discribes setting the clutch in the proper order checking and setting the clutch brake first then doing the internal adjustment.

Does anyone have a copy of this????!

Thanx!

several years ago before the format changed here there was a tips and tricks kinda post on how to set the clutch it was in the wiki portion of the page !It was a Mack TSB letter head it was posted by one of the members here I'm tring to find a copy of that TSB or Helpfull tips , (service Hints ) or ( what ever)! It discribes setting the clutch in the proper order checking and setting the clutch brake first then doing the internal adjustment.

Does anyone have a copy of this????!

Thanx!

I know it's shown in the TS494 manuals.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I know it's shown in the TS494 manuals.

No Bro that stuff is to modern !This here was an oldy but a goody.I beleive the new stuff is V tainted, this was a grass roots straight forward ,proper way to adjust the clutch on a mack with a simple clutch cable no air ass/ sist junk on there type clutch. :lol:

No Bro that stuff is to modern !This here was an oldy but a goody.I beleive the new stuff is V tainted, this was a grass roots straight forward ,proper way to adjust the clutch on a mack with a simple clutch cable no air ass/ sist junk on there type clutch. :lol:

I hear you there!

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

You wouldn't believe how clutches are set at the plant lol....how do you guys set them? I know how I set em.....I'd like to know how much variation you guys get from the plant too thanks

Iv'e seen em come to our shop decked straight from the plant with as much as 2 inchs of clutch brake and the correct free pedal! That would mean that there would be MAYBE 1/2 inch of clutch gap between the throw out bearing and the brake surface! More often than not there is 1 inch useually that is the case that is still too much with an air assist clutch in my opinion.We ussually end up tweeking the clutch brake before delivery to fend off clutch brake desasters with the mp engines as I dicribed earlier!There is nothing wrong with the eaton two peice clutch brake as long as you install it with a wad of grease on it and set it real light they will work for a long time!The volvo people wanted us to put one peice brakes back in at one point!