Door Unlocking Issue On A Ch613

i just bought a '93 ch613 and i'm having problems with unlocking the doors. the door locks easy enough. if you don't touch the handle the doors unlock fine. if you try to open the handle then try to unlock the door it will not work. you can hear the rod moving up and down, it just doesn't unlock. both doors are the same way. like i said, if you turn the key to lock it locks. if you turn the key to unlock it it unlocks fine, as long as you don't touch the handle. i feel no binding in the lock cylinder or the rods. everything is lubricated. is there something i'm missing?? is there a "trick" to unlocking these doors?? thanks.........

I'm going to assume you haven't tried this so bear with me if you have. Take the door pad and panel off and have a buddy work the handle and lock while you observe everything going on. The rod and clip arrangement on CH doors is strangely delicate and consists of little plastic clips and threaded rods that wear out and break. Here in the North East we are continually replacing the handles (chrome plated, around $50)because of salt/ rust. Because the passengers door seems to get used less often, it is more prone to freezing up with corrosion.

The handles are very easy to replace.

I hope this helped,

Phil

Thanks,

Phil

phil@globaltrucktraders.com

www.globaltrucktraders.com

603-239-7008

I'm going to assume you haven't tried this so bear with me if you have. Take the door pad and panel off and have a buddy work the handle and lock while you observe everything going on. The rod and clip arrangement on CH doors is strangely delicate and consists of little plastic clips and threaded rods that wear out and break. Here in the North East we are continually replacing the handles (chrome plated, around $50)because of salt/ rust. Because the passengers door seems to get used less often, it is more prone to freezing up with corrosion.

The handles are very easy to replace.

I hope this helped,

Phil

thanks for the response phil. i had the panels off and everything looks to be in order. my truck spent its life parked inside, so no rust/corrosion. i just bought it and with both doors doing the exact same thing i assumed i was missing some kind of trick.......

• 1 month later...