Wheel Bearings

2007 Mack Vision. Outer wheel bearing on left front drive axel came apart causing wheel,hub, and axel assembly to almost come off of truck. Bearing cage was destroyed and only the inner race was still on the spindle. We are running michelin super singles. Anyone else experienced this problem ?

Yes, there are issues when running super singles. Depending on the "offset" of the wheels you're running, the wheel "centers" are moved outward an inch or two, causing more stress on the wheel ends (bearings)and housing.

I ran into a situation where wheel and/or axle manufacturers de-rated the capacity of their axles with super single wheel equipment, or would no longer offer certain axle models in combination with super single tires.

Only recently did some of these problems surface because of a higher number of failures than normal. I have also seen problems with brake camshaft tube cracking at the mounting points, and gussets had to be beefed up.

You may want to check with your axle vendor district service rep before switching a truck built with dual wheels to super singles.

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Yes, there are issues when running super singles. Depending on the "offset" of the wheels you're running, the wheel "centers" are moved outward an inch or two, causing more stress on the wheel ends (bearings)and housing.

I ran into a situation where wheel and/or axle manufacturers de-rated the capacity of their axles with super single wheel equipment, or would no longer offer certain axle models in combination with super single tires.

Only recently did some of these problems surface because of a higher number of failures than normal. I have also seen problems with brake camshaft tube cracking at the mounting points, and gussets had to be beefed up.

You may want to check with your axle vendor district service rep before switching a truck built with dual wheels to super singles.

Dave

Dave, thanks for responding to my question. I have since changed all the bearings and races ( to timkin) from the oem equipment which was hyatt ( chinese made) . The bearings in the other three hubs looked ok. When michelin was pushing the change to singles no mention was made of increased bearing load because of offset. I am concerned this could happen again but don't know what to do as far as preventative maintenance.I will check with the axle reps.

thanks again for the response,

fuzz