Hello, I need some help from the B model guys about how to drive the a/c compressor. My friend has installed a 237 into his B model but has to use the B models original water pump and crank hub to get the engine to fit. Now he has no groove on the water pump to drive the compressor. Any ideas? Thanks, Bobby

Hello, I need some help from the B model guys about how to drive the a/c compressor. My friend has installed a 237 into his B model but has to use the B models original water pump and crank hub to get the engine to fit. Now he has no groove on the water pump to drive the compressor. Any ideas? Thanks, Bobby

You can mount the a/c compressor on the rt. side of the engine a little lower than centered between the water pump shaft, and crankshaft. Install a smooth idler pulley to use as a tensioner bearing against the backside of the belts that is adjustable and run longer belts to now fit over the extra hardware. I say to mount the compressor low because you want to be able to tension the belts so they don't slip on the water pump, or the compressor. These require about 1/2 circumference contact with belt to groove to ensure they don't slip. A 1/2" drive belt is only good for transfering about 8 theoretical horsepower and even the most efficient mobile a/c compressor equipment type currently in use consumes about 12 when running in hot weather. This is the reason for dual drive belts.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.