Need Some Oldtimer Help

cgallamore

picking up in reno NV.on monday, going to wiliston ND. no route looks good, hoping sombody has run it.

cant seem to get away from the dakotas

can i go threw yellowstone park?

do they allow trucks????????????????

just checked the atlas, all routes are restricted to trucks in Yellowstone except U.S.191. You could take 20 to 287 to 191 up into Montana. I've never been in the area so I don't know the roads but I bet it's beautiful country-take some pictures.

I took a load of piling to Williston last year but I came from the east. Lots of sunflowers in North Dakota there,eh?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I have done this several times, the way i would run it is this........80 east, to 93 north, 84/86 east to pocatello, 15 north, to 20 north, up to west yellowstone (you can run 191 its a good road, little crooked in places) but it will run you through the southwest corner of yellowstone, its a nice ride, but one i dont recommend running in the winter! been there done that! then 90 to 94 over to belfield, ND to 85 north DO NOT run up 16 to rt.2! it is a nightmare! i ran down there once out or regina,BC to reload in glendive,MT never do that again!....should be a pretty nice trip, good scenery!....... Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I have done this several times, the way i would run it is this........80 east, to 93 north, 84/86 east to pocatello, 15 north, to 20 north, up to west yellowstone (you can run 191 its a good road, little crooked in places) but it will run you through the southwest corner of yellowstone, its a nice ride, but one i dont recommend running in the winter! been there done that! then 90 to 94 over to belfield, ND to 85 north DO NOT run up 16 to rt.2! it is a nightmare! i ran down there once out or regina,BC to reload in glendive,MT never do that again!....should be a pretty nice trip, good scenery!....... Mark

Thanks oldtimer lol

That's exactly the adviwe I was looking for.

I was going to take that 16 to 2 but now I know not to.

Thanks oldtimer lol

That's exactly the adviwe I was looking for.

I was going to take that 16 to 2 but now I know not to.

What's the deal with 16?..probably never go there,just curious-looks good,straight,and flat on the map.

What's the deal with 16?..probably never go there,just curious-looks good,straight,and flat on the map.

Looks can be decieving! i thought the same thing, but up on the northern end you have to go around/ bypass half a dozen little towns, some places its a 25MPH zone, another bypass around some US? state park, its dark as pitch all the way, i had a hard time seeing that night, elk, deer all over the place its narrow in quite a few places too. Course it WAS snowin' like hell the night i ran it, that might be some of the reason! couple pretty good grades on there too, had to run my chains for 20 miles or so.....Mark

Looks can be decieving! i thought the same thing, but up on the northern end you have to go around/ bypass half a dozen little towns, some places its a 25MPH zone, another bypass around some US? state park, its dark as pitch all the way, i had a hard time seeing that night, elk, deer all over the place its narrow in quite a few places too. Course it WAS snowin' like hell the night i ran it, that might be some of the reason! couple pretty good grades on there too, had to run my chains for 20 miles or so.....Mark

im going to get in trouble running west in the winter with the chains i have, an oldtimer cut a bunch off them and put them back in bags, he gave them to me when i started, and said if you need chains set it out.....

im going to get in trouble running west in the winter with the chains i have, an oldtimer cut a bunch off them and put them back in bags, he gave them to me when i started, and said if you need chains set it out.....

that was always my plan. I had new chains,but I know about as much about tire chains as I do about flying an airplane.

that was always my plan. I had new chains,but I know about as much about tire chains as I do about flying an airplane.

Nothin' to it! once you hang them 10-15,000 times you kinda' get the hang of it! LOL! worst ordeal i've ever had with chaining up was just this past winter, delivered to a ski lodge up in eagle,CO had to go up a snow/ice covered grade (about 8%) had everything locked down, was putting on my first set of 3 railers, entire truck /trailer slid back about 15 feet! scared the shit outta' me! decided to go to sleep,wait for the sun to come up before going any farther! (wise choice).......they had an electical fire and the place burned to the ground before i got there!.............Mark

post-5836-084249700 1280285807_thumb.jpg

Nothin' to it! once you hang them 10-15,000 times you kinda' get the hang of it! LOL! worst ordeal i've ever had with chaining up was just this past winter, delivered to a ski lodge up in eagle,CO had to go up a snow/ice covered grade (about 8%) had everything locked down, was putting on my first set of 3 railers, entire truck /trailer slid back about 15 feet! scared the shit outta' me! decided to go to sleep,wait for the sun to come up before going any farther! (wise choice).......they had an electical fire and the place burned to the ground before i got there!.............Mark

my full fenders set so close to the tires, if i could get the chains on it would destroy the fenders

How'd you make out getting up there? ok i hope........Mark

im a big dummy, with the issues im having with my engine brake, i thought i would play it safe and run 15 up to 90 so i could stay out of the hills, now i wander if 20 to 191 mite have been the flater route, i should have asked, im near bozeman now and you know what kind of hills i came threw

grama said if your gona be dumb you better be tough

i ran up 93 last nite to jackpot and layed up, crossed a little ditch this morning, rite befor hwy 84 i think its called snake river

holly shit what a veiw

Thats a pretty nice ride up thru there this time of year, i run that way just about all the time, yep 20 191 was your best bet to stay outa the hills,pretty flat, good running, i know rite where your talking about

I was talking to a Jordan Carriers driver when I was loading beams in Blytheville,Arkansas. He lived in Mississippi and used to drive for TMC. He was like myself,knew nothing about chaining up. Said the only time he ever used them was to get across Cabbage mtn. in Oregon, just so he wouldn't have to set for several hours. When he got across to the unchain area he had lost one set entirely,broken another one,plus damaged both quarter fenders and tore the light bar off the back of the truck...maybe hearing all that scared me!

I was coming back from Chillicothe,Ohio once with an empty log trailer and got stuck on ice on rt.60 in West Virginia. I was sitting on a hill (of course) before you go down the mountain into Rainelle.Couldn't move.So slick when I got out I almost slid up under the fuel tank. After a while a state dump truck came by salting the road-first vehicle i'd seen.

He passed and said on the cb-"you stuck?"

""uh...yeah,i'm kinda is"

"arrrright then,i'll back down in front of you and dump some salt"

He started to back down the hill to me and started sliding immediately. He said "whoa,that's slick ain't it?!! I'd better put my chains on".

"yeah,pretty slick,or I wouldn't be sitting here looking stupid".

I figured i'd give him a hand with the chains but by the time I got my coat on and got out he was done and I followed him off the mountain.

I was talking to a Jordan Carriers driver when I was loading beams in Blytheville,Arkansas. He lived in Mississippi and used to drive for TMC. He was like myself,knew nothing about chaining up. Said the only time he ever used them was to get across Cabbage mtn. in Oregon, just so he wouldn't have to set for several hours. When he got across to the unchain area he had lost one set entirely,broken another one,plus damaged both quarter fenders and tore the light bar off the back of the truck...maybe hearing all that scared me!

I was coming back from Chillicothe,Ohio once with an empty log trailer and got stuck on ice on rt.60 in West Virginia. I was sitting on a hill (of course) before you go down the mountain into Rainelle.Couldn't move.So slick when I got out I almost slid up under the fuel tank. After a while a state dump truck came by salting the road-first vehicle i'd seen.

He passed and said on the cb-"you stuck?"

""uh...yeah,i'm kinda is"

"arrrright then,i'll back down in front of you and dump some salt"

He started to back down the hill to me and started sliding immediately. He said "whoa,that's slick ain't it?!! I'd better put my chains on".

"yeah,pretty slick,or I wouldn't be sitting here looking stupid".

I figured i'd give him a hand with the chains but by the time I got my coat on and got out he was done and I followed him off the mountain.

It's been a while since I've seen any of these on a truck. Timberline Steel had a 1998 or 99 CH with chains around here for a while and seemed to like them.

http://insta-chain.com/

http://www.onspot.com/

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I had a similar experience, one time many years ago, i was coming down out of buffalo,NY with a load of empty glass bottles, got on 390 down towards binghampton,NY it was snowing/freezing rain (slick as goose shit!) i decided to shut down till it got better, pulled into the T/A in dansville,NY i was sitting in the truck drinking coffee, when the guy across from me (about 600 LBS.) decided to climb down out of his double bunk cabover freightliner. He made it to the ground,took a few "baby steps" then wham!!!!! busted his ass but good! i thought that was the funniest thing i ever saw! i laughed my ass off! well, after drinking about 1/2 gallon of coffee, it was my turn, i was running my F-model at the time, opened the door, climbed down very carefully, took my foot off the last step, touched the ground, turned around to walk inside, i did'nt take 2 steps, then BAM!!!!!! my ass hit the ground! next thing i knew i was looking at fuel tank/ driveshaft! knocked the wind outta' me! learned a valuable lesson that day, NEVER LAUGH AT SOMEBODY ELSES MISFORTUNE! next time it could be you getting laughed at!!!.........Mark