Mack Mp Turbos

Does anyone know what turbos are used in the current series of Mack engines? I'm interested in the MP7, MP8, and MP10. All I know right now is that they're running Holset VGT turbos.

Thanks!

Yep , thats them. We had a small Cummins engine in the other day and it had the same turbo on it as the MP's. Of course our MP turbo's from Mack in a Cummins box! The first MP-7 (non-DPF) turbo's had a problem with the impeller nut spinning off but that has now been fixed. The turbo center section is water and oil cooled and the VGT/actuator is also water cooler. The MP7 turbo to exhaust manifold gasket had a normal looking turbo gasket but the MP8 turbo gasket had a very small hole/ block off plate in it (?????). Never seen a MP10.

Yep , thats them. We had a small Cummins engine in the other day and it had the same turbo on it as the MP's. Of course our MP turbo's from Mack in a Cummins box! The first MP-7 (non-DPF) turbo's had a problem with the impeller nut spinning off but that has now been fixed. The turbo center section is water and oil cooled and the VGT/actuator is also water cooler. The MP7 turbo to exhaust manifold gasket had a normal looking turbo gasket but the MP8 turbo gasket had a very small hole/ block off plate in it (?????). Never seen a MP10.

I think the ISX uses the same basic turbo as the MP10. On the Mack US10 emission engines the turbos are supposed to have different internals than the US07's did, so I would guess that the Cummins version of the turbo might be different from the Mack version but I'm not sure.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Mackpro68 - Would you happen to know what model they use? Perhaps an HX40, HX50, or HX55?

rhasler - Have the specs for the MP series changed between EPA07 and EPA10? I don't see any indication of this on the Mack site. I've been working on gathering info for Cummins stock turbos as well, but unfortunately I do not have any info for the ISX. Still waiting on Cummins to get back to me... but I'm guessing something between HX50-60.

Mackpro68 - Would you happen to know what model they use? Perhaps an HX40, HX50, or HX55?

rhasler - Have the specs for the MP series changed between EPA07 and EPA10? I don't see any indication of this on the Mack site. I've been working on gathering info for Cummins stock turbos as well, but unfortunately I do not have any info for the ISX. Still waiting on Cummins to get back to me... but I'm guessing something between HX50-60.

I have a couple of blown up one's laying around, I look for any model/series markings on them. Mack/Volvo doesn't tell us any specs on anything anymore other than part #'s. We used to have engineers we could call for info, those days are gone. We have been replacing several MP8 turbos as part of a recall. We have to reuse the old actuator though. We had one of the new recall turbo's blow oil out the back/exhaust and ruin the DPF filters. Total bill was $8,000+ , thank God for warranty.

See Mackpro's response. Boost is supposed to stay the same, however I have never seen a published spec for the boost pressure so I can't tell you what it was supposed to be in the first place. The US10 turbos have several, shall we say, "design improvements".

Ah, alright. Thanks guys. This seems to be the case for pretty much every turbo for every every manufacturer recently, not just Mack. I'm having similar issues with finding info on turbos on engines by Navistar, Cummins, Caterpillar, etc. The specs are usually relatively easy to narrow down after you get the model number down, but it's all kinda irrelevant if you can't even find the model number, haha.

Ah, alright. Thanks guys. This seems to be the case for pretty much every turbo for every every manufacturer recently, not just Mack. I'm having similar issues with finding info on turbos on engines by Navistar, Cummins, Caterpillar, etc. The specs are usually relatively easy to narrow down after you get the model number down, but it's all kinda irrelevant if you can't even find the model number, haha.

I have one setting on my tool box and checked it out and found no "series" number. In the box with the new updated turbo for the recalls there is a piece of paper with some of the "series" info, I have thrown thoes papers away. I will see if I have another turbo to rob the papers out of!

I have one setting on my tool box and checked it out and found no "series" number. In the box with the new updated turbo for the recalls there is a piece of paper with some of the "series" info, I have thrown thoes papers away. I will see if I have another turbo to rob the papers out of!

Most turbos don't have the series number on the tags. What about a part number? Or any markings on the housings?

Most turbos don't have the series number on the tags. What about a part number? Or any markings on the housings?

I found that the metal tag underneath the sticker has more info on it. Here is one from a 2007 MP7 04emission, it does have the model info on it.

post-1740-073012800 1279901360_thumb.jpg

I found that the metal tag underneath the sticker has more info on it. Here is one from a 2007 MP7 04emission, it does have the model info on it.

Nice! Awesome... this is just what I needed. Thanks!

I will post back here if I find anymore information about the Mack turbos. If the MP7 uses the HE341VE, then maybe the 8 and 10 use the 341 as well. I'll try and find out.

Nice! Awesome... this is just what I needed. Thanks!

I will post back here if I find anymore information about the Mack turbos. If the MP7 uses the HE341VE, then maybe the 8 and 10 use the 341 as well. I'll try and find out.

The MP10 turbo is bigger than the MP7 and MP8 turbo. I think the 7 and 8 may be the same model.