Got My Trainer Truck

Well, I decided to pick-up a trainer truck while my Mack H-67 is being restored. I realize it is not a Mack, but I would rather tear up this 1978 International Transtar II with 1980 Great Dane Trailer while learning so when the Mack arrives it can be properly cared for! After the Mack arrives, it can find a new home.

Also, thanks to members on this board who helped locate this truck, I feel it was a good deal. It was maintained by a school for the last 13+ years of its' life as it carried the band equipment. The school traded it in on a new bus order and, given it was a very large school district, the bus company took it even though they had no idea what to do with a semi and trailer. They just wanted it off the lot. So, total together (truck and trailer) was $2,500. It was also 10 minutes from my house. Hard to pass up when it comes together like that.

The truck is in very good running shape and actually pretty good exterior shape (not much rust). The trailer is pretty solid as well w/ full air, etc. So, seemed like a reasonable investment for a year while getting ready. Apparently the school rebuilt the engine after taking it and the rebuild has low miles. The only thing on it that I could find that did not work was the air conditioner. They even added heated mirrors. It has a Detroit and a Fuller 9 speed. Pretty new air seat to help break in those training hours as well.

I am sure the gears on this truck will pay the ultimate price. Trailer is going to a new home in our local ATHS club. Same member was a great help in getting this pulled together but shall remain nameless (unless he wants to talk about it!).

Here are some pics:

post-6171-038543500 1277766225_thumb.jpg

post-6171-024327100 1277766231_thumb.jpg

post-6171-035284400 1277766240_thumb.jpg

post-6171-021516100 1277766247_thumb.jpg

Congradualations! seems like a good deal to me as well,especially for your pupose. transtar II was a damn good truck in my opinion,my dad ran a CO-4070 for a good many years and he liked it (gravely under-powered though) VT-903 cummins,10 spd. road-ranger. And don't worry a 9 spd. is real easy to learn/drive,single axle C.O.E is somewhat of a rarity these days as well,take care of it,maybe make some upgrades/repairs and you might just realize your initial outlay plus some extra on the return should you decide to re-sell it at some point. looks to be bedbugger specs. (moving van) with the drop frame trailer and all,i am am glad to see it going to ATHS too,great organization, been a member 20 plus years myself, and theres no better place for this type donation. which chapter are you a member of if you don't mind me asking?..................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

which chapter are you a member of if you don't mind me asking?..................Mark

Thanks Mark. I am part of the South Central Indiana chapter.

I do like the idea of the ATHS finding an ultimate home for this truck.

It is a solid truck and a good starting point for someone eventually.

I am not a career trucker, so "apples and oranges" is ok because right now I just need to learn more about fruit.

If I cannot properly back a trailer, at this point, the badge on the front, the type of motor, and tranny is not my personal biggest issue!

This is a good yard / practice truck IMO. As you mentioned, with some minor attention points, I think it holds a lot more for someone eventually that loved these trucks.

Well, I decided to pick-up a trainer truck while my Mack H-67 is being restored. I realize it is not a Mack, but I would rather tear up this 1978 International Transtar II with 1980 Great Dane Trailer while learning so when the Mack arrives it can be properly cared for!

Good idea, at least if something's going to get torn up it won't be the Mack! Enjoy yourself.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

That's a damn fine deal you got there! Are you practicing with the trailer or giving away the trailer immediately? I would keep the trailer for a while to practice. Setup some cones or obstacles like a pretend dock, yard, truck stop parking lot etc and start practicing! Also get some practice in to hook and unhook the trailer.

You have someone who knows how to drive/shift? Maybe make them a deal and buy em a case of their favorite beer and have them take you out for a few hours.

Congratulations?

You're gonna compare apples to oranges though

This is another good point. Your H is going to have a twin stick which is a whole different beast. With a Fuller 9 speed you have two reverse speeds, one lo hole and 8 road gears. You shift 1-2-3-4- Range Change, back to 1st which is now 5th and again 5-6-7-8. Lo is used for crawling around or starting a heavy load on a hill.

Your H has what a 9 or 10 speed twin stick (most likely)? That shifts much different. First you have the main stick on the left and the compound on the right.

Side note: a triplex and quad have the sticks the other way around. this is because you shift the compound more than the main so it makes sense to keep it closer.

Okay, back to the 9 or 10 speed. So the main has a reverse gear and 5 forward gears and the compound has two gears: lo and hi. You start out with both sticks in neutral, shift your main into 1st and then the compound into lo and start giving it a little gas while coming off the clutch. Then once your get the revs up shift the compound into hi and keep going. Now you have to get to second. This entails shifting the main into 2nd and then quickly shifting the compound into lo to prevent lugging. Then rinse, wash, repeat until 4th. Now of you have a 9 speed and your in 4th-hi just shift strait into 5th, there is no 5th lo. With a 10 speed you split 5th.

If you have a 13 or 15 speed triplex it works the same except the compound has lo, direct and hi. so its 1st-lo-direct-hi, 2nd-lo-direct-hi etc. For a 13 speed its the same as a 9 speed, once in 4th hi just shift the main into 5th and that's it. For a 15 speed you split 5th.

The Quad box has two versions as well, the 18 and 20 speed. The compound has lo-lo, lo, direct and hi. Lo-lo is NOT for road use, its for crawling around in the dirt or heavy hauling. To use lo-lo, you shift into lo-lo and then run through the main 1-2-3-4-5 or pick a single gear as you see fit. For road driving, an 18 speed shifts exactly like the 13 triplex, you just ignore lo-lo on the compound. Same goes for the 20 except you shift it like a 15, split 5th and again ignore lo-lo. lo-lo is for heavy loads, dirt and other low speed driving situations.

I hope I got this right, someone correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Well, I decided to pick-up a trainer truck while my Mack H-67 is being restored. I realize it is not a Mack, but I would rather tear up this 1978 International Transtar II with 1980 Great Dane Trailer while learning so when the Mack arrives it can be properly cared for! After the Mack arrives, it can find a new home.

Also, thanks to members on this board who helped locate this truck, I feel it was a good deal. It was maintained by a school for the last 13+ years of its' life as it carried the band equipment. The school traded it in on a new bus order and, given it was a very large school district, the bus company took it even though they had no idea what to do with a semi and trailer. They just wanted it off the lot. So, total together (truck and trailer) was $2,500. It was also 10 minutes from my house. Hard to pass up when it comes together like that.

The truck is in very good running shape and actually pretty good exterior shape (not much rust). The trailer is pretty solid as well w/ full air, etc. So, seemed like a reasonable investment for a year while getting ready. Apparently the school rebuilt the engine after taking it and the rebuild has low miles. The only thing on it that I could find that did not work was the air conditioner. They even added heated mirrors. It has a Detroit and a Fuller 9 speed. Pretty new air seat to help break in those training hours as well.

I am sure the gears on this truck will pay the ultimate price. Trailer is going to a new home in our local ATHS club. Same member was a great help in getting this pulled together but shall remain nameless (unless he wants to talk about it!).

Here are some pics:

post-6171-038543500 1277766225_thumb.jpg

post-6171-024327100 1277766231_thumb.jpg

post-6171-035284400 1277766240_thumb.jpg

post-6171-021516100 1277766247_thumb.jpg

I particularly like the trailer.... Now Rob is that truck pink?. You know that you need to comfortable with your masculinity to drive a pink truck.......Ecspecialy one that large!... I can't believe someone from THIS site would steer you to wards a two-story corn binder.. We need names for immediate dismissal.

Just messing with you.. Where's the original Rob at? he could chime in here... Do you think we could make this into Momma's mobile kitchen... It wouldn't get much fresher than squashed, scraped and cooked on the road..

15 gears...no waiting!

I particularly like the trailer.... Now Rob is that truck pink?. You know that you need to comfortable with your masculinity to drive a pink truck.......Ecspecialy one that large!...

The pink is offset by the fact it was owned by a school with the name of TROJANS... which appears in 8 ft. letters on the side of the trailer. Heck, the trailer letters are so big, you hardly notice the pink truck.

My wife was quick to point out that when the connection to the school is lost, that sign really changes the meaning of that trailer. However, I reminded her that the trailer now belongs to some other poor ATHS guy, so they will get to enjoy explaining exactly what they are hauling in the trailer...

The pink is offset by the fact it was owned by a school with the name of TROJANS... which appears in 8 ft. letters on the side of the trailer.

Man, I just realized the pictures never showed the OTHER side of the trailer... probably why b61fred (I mean the ATHS guy) never knew about the 8 ft. TROJAN thing... opps... :-)

Man, I just realized the pictures never showed the OTHER side of the trailer... probably why b61fred (I mean the ATHS guy) never knew about the 8 ft. TROJAN thing... opps... :-)

Thanks for the comliment.... but not even I can use a 8ft. trojan!!!!

15 gears...no waiting!