Rd Rear End Leaking

Wondering if someone out there can tell me where the normal problem area's are with the camelback rears for leaking. have a 97 rd688s tri axle dump i just got. worried about the rear leaking. I know mack's leak but just a little concerned that some companies might not let me into there quarry with this leak. Wondering if someone could tell me where the normal area's are for leaks and what is the best fix. I have not really cleaned it and kept an eye on it to see where it is coming from. Bare with me as I dont know all the part names. But I cannot tell if it is coming from where the carrier bolts into the rear housing itself or it is coming from a plate that is on the side of the carrier. But I am going to have to address this soon. If I had a diagram I am sure my mechanic friend and I could do something with it, but cannot find any diagrams. Any help appreciated.

Wondering if someone out there can tell me where the normal problem area's are with the camelback rears for leaking. have a 97 rd688s tri axle dump i just got. worried about the rear leaking. I know mack's leak but just a little concerned that some companies might not let me into there quarry with this leak. Wondering if someone could tell me where the normal area's are for leaks and what is the best fix. I have not really cleaned it and kept an eye on it to see where it is coming from. Bare with me as I dont know all the part names. But I cannot tell if it is coming from where the carrier bolts into the rear housing itself or it is coming from a plate that is on the side of the carrier. But I am going to have to address this soon. If I had a diagram I am sure my mechanic friend and I could do something with it, but cannot find any diagrams. Any help appreciated.

If it's leaking on the driver's side it is probably coming from the mating surface between the carrier & the housing. The cover you refer to has to be removed , there are two bolts inside the carrier housing. Check these and hopefully your axle housing isn't cracked

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

By the way rhasler, is there an easy way to tell what size rears these are or do you have to cross ref. the numbers on the rears?

If they are Mack rears (top loaded carriers) the model and ratio are stamped or matrix printed on the right side of the carrier. It is on the flat area on the passenger side of the carrier.

If it's leaking on the driver's side it is probably coming from the mating surface between the carrier & the housing. The cover you refer to has to be removed , there are two bolts inside the carrier housing. Check these and hopefully your axle housing isn't cracked

While you're under the truck check all of the torque rod bolts, especially where they mount to the side of the frame rail. I Believe the transverse torque rod is used on suspensions heavier than 38,000 lbs. The bolts will become loose over time and can result in cracks to the frame rail. This in turn can cause the bolts inside the carrier housing to stretch resulting in leaks at the axle housing flange.

• 1 month later...

If the bolts are tight and it's only leaching a little oil and not dripping onto the ground, then I'd simply check the oil level and add oil if it's low. Actually, that's so much easier to do when the car is on a lift and using the proper wrench breaker bar, that I'd take it in to any shop and have it done. It's worth the $50 charge. You could have the oil changed and replaced with Mobil Synthetic gear oil and help your gas mileage somewhat. Then they remove the rear cover and replace the gasket and oil. You'd really need Rhino Ramps and safety jack stands and wheel chocks to get under the car, and it's dangerous getting under any vehicle if you don't know what your doing.