2003 Ch613 E7

Can anyone out there tell me if the HP can be increased on an E7 engine via the computer? We are looking at buying this truck, but the HP is only rated at 355/380, whatever that means! Also the top road speed on the truck is only 65mph. I called Mack dealer and they said that to increase the road speed is no problem, and would only cost about $100 bucks, but to increase the HP on the engine might be as high as $2500. Reason being that the heads might have to be changed. I thought the beauty of the ECM's were that HP, Torque and road speeds were adjustable using computer programs. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

Can anyone out there tell me if the HP can be increased on an E7 engine via the computer? We are looking at buying this truck, but the HP is only rated at 355/380, whatever that means! Also the top road speed on the truck is only 65mph. I called Mack dealer and they said that to increase the road speed is no problem, and would only cost about $100 bucks, but to increase the HP on the engine might be as high as $2500. Reason being that the heads might have to be changed. I thought the beauty of the ECM's were that HP, Torque and road speeds were adjustable using computer programs. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

The engine is a dual horsepower rating. At cruise speed it runs at the lower horsepower, and uprates when pulling. What you were told is technically correct. Road speed reprogramming is no big deal. Changing horsepower can cost a lot of money because it requires several component changes. Your engine might require new injector, turbo, and the like, depending on what it is stepped up to. Mack has to approve a horsepower changeover. If you go above a certain horsepower they (Mack corporate) will tell you that you need to install an oil cooler for the transmission, a higher rated clutch, and possibly heavier differentials. What they tell you to change is dependent upon horsepower & gcvw. You would probably be able to step up to a 380/410 engine without the changes to chassis components. I would have to look at the tune up specs to see if there are different injectors & turbo for it.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

The engine is a dual horsepower rating. At cruise speed it runs at the lower horsepower, and uprates when pulling. What you were told is technically correct. Road speed reprogramming is no big deal. Changing horsepower can cost a lot of money because it requires several component changes. Your engine might require new injector, turbo, and the like, depending on what it is stepped up to. Mack has to approve a horsepower changeover. If you go above a certain horsepower they (Mack corporate) will tell you that you need to install an oil cooler for the transmission, a higher rated clutch, and possibly heavier differentials. What they tell you to change is dependent upon horsepower & gcvw. You would probably be able to step up to a 380/410 engine without the changes to chassis components. I would have to look at the tune up specs to see if there are different injectors & turbo for it.

And re and re the cam to replace the cam key if you want to go to 460.I highly doubt they would have any say over a truck that old!

If the truck was still under warrenty then yes there would be limitations!

I highly doubt they would have any say over a truck that old!

If the truck was still under warrenty then yes there would be limitations!

I've actually had Mack tell me components like the rear ends & clutch had to be replaced with heavier parts when moving from an AMI370 to AI460 of this vintage about 2 years ago, well out from under warranty. I prefer going through Mack and getting their appproval on the upgrade for two reasons:

#1 If the drivetrain shells out because the customer was made aware of the required upgrades but chose not to install them then I'm covered

#2 By installing the parts to change the engine horsepower per Mack the emissions certification is ok. This keeps the customer, me, and my employer out of trouble with the EPA, I can't afford that kind of trouble.

fjh, aren't you in Canada? What are the rules like up there? I mean are there different emissions levels in different provinces where some are stricter than others, like California here is?

I've actually had Mack tell me components like the rear ends & clutch had to be replaced with heavier parts when moving from an AMI370 to AI460 of this vintage about 2 years ago, well out from under warranty. I prefer going through Mack and getting their appproval on the upgrade for two reasons:

#1 If the drivetrain shells out because the customer was made aware of the required upgrades but chose not to install them then I'm covered

#2 By installing the parts to change the engine horsepower per Mack the emissions certification is ok. This keeps the customer, me, and my employer out of trouble with the EPA, I can't afford that kind of trouble.

fjh, aren't you in Canada? What are the rules like up there? I mean are there different emissions levels in different provinces where some are stricter than others, like California here is?

In some respects the laws are as strict, as I posted earlier this month the province has decided that any 89 to 93 unit has to have a dpf fitted to it as of october or you will not be able to licence it.

In some respects the laws are as strict, as I posted earlier this month the province has decided that any 89 to 93 unit has to have a dpf fitted to it as of october or you will not be able to licence it.

That sucks. So are you guys set up with Huss or someone else to install the DPF kits?

Ok thanks seems getting the engine up to the 427 range, would probalbly be more expensive than it would be worth. Do you have any idea what the torque on this engine would be. I have an 03 Int that is 385hp and 1300ft/lbs, but the truck has 2.79 rears. I am trying to figure if I would be better off with the Mack even though it has slightly less horsepower. I think this truck has around 3.50-3.80 rears since it is a maxicruiser. It felt better driving it, but then again, it was not loaded when I did. Any thoughts?

Ok thanks seems getting the engine up to the 427 range, would probalbly be more expensive than it would be worth. Do you have any idea what the torque on this engine would be. I have an 03 Int that is 385hp and 1300ft/lbs, but the truck has 2.79 rears. I am trying to figure if I would be better off with the Mack even though it has slightly less horsepower. I think this truck has around 3.50-3.80 rears since it is a maxicruiser. It felt better driving it, but then again, it was not loaded when I did. Any thoughts?

Do you know if the Mack has the ASET AC engine with VGT turbo and EGR? I think it should, but it doesn't hurt to check. The 355/380 ASET AC should have 1,560 lb.ft. torque at 1,100 rpm.

That sucks. So are you guys set up with Huss or someone else to install the DPF kits?

Huss has been a pain to get a hold of !I beleive we have found some one to supply Compeditive? duno? ! ?? Donalson has one and they are our filter supplier ,but KW was on the ball and got an exclusive contract so we can't buy there with out going to a KW dealer that puts us at a disadvantage price wise.A real rock and a hard place!I asked Barry a while back if he new of a supllier but Huss was the only one he new of and You guys down south haven't needed to retro fit yet! Guess we are the guinea pigs on this round.I hate this emmions shit with a passion it's cause the most unreliable peices of junk to be produced in along time. and now were going to screw up something that was once depenable with an add on.pat.gif

GREAT !

Huss has been a pain to get a hold of !I beleive we have found some one to supply Compeditive? duno? ! ?? Donalson has one and they are our filter supplier ,but KW was on the ball and got an exclusive contract so we can't buy there with out going to a KW dealer that puts us at a disadvantage price wise.A real rock and a hard place!I asked Barry a while back if he new of a supllier but Huss was the only one he new of and You guys down south haven't needed to retro fit yet! Guess we are the guinea pigs on this round.I hate this emmions shit with a passion it's cause the most unreliable peices of junk to be produced in along time. and now were going to screw up something that was once depenable with an add on.pat.gif

GREAT !

I can't really say I know what you mean, but I have a pretty good idea. Do you compete with Inland KW?

Being an 03 model, I assume just plain E7 Mack with 9 Speed maxiorque behind it. Thats a heck of a lot better than my little cummins rated at 1300ft/lbs!

2002 emissions certification started at this time. An E7 is a Mack engine with 728 CID. As such, there are several "subcatgories" of the E7. A CH 613 manufactured in 2003 might have either the ASET AC (still an E7) or the E-Tech CCRS (also an E7). I'm guessing that it probably is an ASET AC. If it is, and you're still thinking of buying it, check the exhaust manifold and turbo for leaks (check carefully for soot at the #3 and #4 exhaust ports on the head). Check with the seller and find out if the manifold studs, exhaust manifold, and turbo have been replaced.

2002 emissions certification started at this time. An E7 is a Mack engine with 728 CID. As such, there are several "subcatgories" of the E7. A CH 613 manufactured in 2003 might have either the ASET AC (still an E7) or the E-Tech CCRS (also an E7). I'm guessing that it probably is an ASET AC. If it is, and you're still thinking of buying it, check the exhaust manifold and turbo for leaks (check carefully for soot at the #3 and #4 exhaust ports on the head). Check with the seller and find out if the manifold studs, exhaust manifold, and turbo have been replaced.

He wouldn't know, he bought 10 or 15 Ch's and visions from a company in Georgia I think. I looked at that when I LOOKED AT IT AS I'v had problems with the heads breaking off the bolts on my ISM cummins ehaust manifold causing gasket failure. This one is OK right now. Anything else I need to look for? I noticed that the anti lock light os on, but my International does the same. Whats the deal on the charge light staying on with many CH's and CHU's?

He wouldn't know, he bought 10 or 15 Ch's and visions from a company in Georgia I think. I looked at that when I LOOKED AT IT AS I'v had problems with the heads breaking off the bolts on my ISM cummins ehaust manifold causing gasket failure. This one is OK right now. Anything else I need to look for? I noticed that the anti lock light os on, but my International does the same. Whats the deal on the charge light staying on with many CH's and CHU's?

Do you mean the lightning bolt? That is the electronic malfunction light, like a check engine light, but not specifically related to the engine.

Thats the one, I test drove one of the Visions, and I noticed the Lightning bolt was on. The CH i'm looking at, it was not on, just the antilock light. The vision was 427hp and 13 speed, but I didn't notice a significant difference in power between it and the 380hp CH axle foward model.

Thats the one, I test drove one of the Visions, and I noticed the Lightning bolt was on. The CH i'm looking at, it was not on, just the antilock light. The vision was 427hp and 13 speed, but I didn't notice a significant difference in power between it and the 380hp CH axle foward model.

Generally the newer the truck, the more that light is on. Sometimes it's something small, sometimes it's something big.

I sure appreciate the info from you guys, the last mack I owned was an 80 model R686, and it was a world of difference from a CH, but it was sure a good one, and gave no problems. I really am thinking about taking a chance on the 2003 CH, as I just don't think I would be going down hill from this 2003 IH 8600 I drive now!

I sure appreciate the info from you guys, the last mack I owned was an 80 model R686, and it was a world of difference from a CH, but it was sure a good one, and gave no problems. I really am thinking about taking a chance on the 2003 CH, as I just don't think I would be going down hill from this 2003 IH 8600 I drive now!

i hate to throw gravel in the gears, have you checked to see if this is an egr engine??????????

didn't they start the egr late in 03????????????

i would make sure it is NOT AN EGR engine.........

• Like 1