Trucking History

vision386

Hi all, just wanted to say how much i have enjoyed the recent posts featuring families with their trucks, i really enjoy seeing peoples pictures and hearing their stories. This is such a good site for this, and i am glad to be associated with it! and all the people i've met. Trucking has never been a "easy" business, and despite what the old timers tell you, "the good old days' were'nt always all that good! My family has been in the trucking business since before there were trucks,either in em',under em',or around em' and i am fiercely proud of that heritage! 3 generations,maybe 4 unless my boy smartens up LOL! guess my point here is this, truckings history is in the minds and memories of thousands of people all over the world,and should be heard,the old time guys are getting few and far between anymore,and their stories need be be told. Trucking built this country literally. and some tough ass guys were behind the wheel! so i guess what i'm trying to say is, talk to your grandad,your father,anyone you know involved with trucking, it's worthwhile to try and preserve some history,even if you've heard them a hundred times,write down what you hear! cause you gotta' remember when they go,their stories go with them.................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Hi all, just wanted to say how much i have enjoyed the recent posts featuring families with their trucks, i really enjoy seeing peoples pictures and hearing their stories. This is such a good site for this, and i am glad to be associated with it! and all the people i've met. Trucking has never been a "easy" business, and despite what the old timers tell you, "the good old days' were'nt always all that good! My family has been in the trucking business since before there were trucks,either in em',under em',or around em' and i am fiercely proud of that heritage! 3 generations,maybe 4 unless my boy smartens up LOL! guess my point here is this, truckings history is in the minds and memories of thousands of people all over the world,and should be heard,the old time guys are getting few and far between anymore,and their stories need be be told. Trucking built this country literally. and some tough ass guys were behind the wheel! so i guess what i'm trying to say is, talk to your grandad,your father,anyone you know involved with trucking, it's worthwhile to try and preserve some history,even if you've heard them a hundred times,write down what you hear! cause you gotta' remember when they go,their stories go with them.................Mark

:clap: well said!

http://www.thedieselgypsy.com/TRUCKING%20STORIES%202.htm

here's some good ones.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Mark, Being a Jersey guy myself an being from a truck family i could relate to a lot of the stuff you post. My dad had 11 brother's & 3 sister's out of the 12 boy's only 1 was not into trucks my dad was a driver an then a truck mechanic. My after school and summer vacations were spent with my dad at the garage or the trucking term. my uncle worked at. I could remember the gypies (owner operators)commin into his office for a trip lease and an advance for the load they were haulin, they looked about 10 feet tall a big wallet with a chain attached, cowboy boots & hat an smookin a Camel.I'm now 56 years old my dad and all my uncles are gone but memories an the stories i'll never forget! an boy i wouldn't trade those days for summer camp or baseball! BULLHUSK

Mark, Being a Jersey guy myself an being from a truck family i could relate to a lot of the stuff you post. My dad had 11 brother's & 3 sister's out of the 12 boy's only 1 was not into trucks my dad was a driver an then a truck mechanic. My after school and summer vacations were spent with my dad at the garage or the trucking term. my uncle worked at. I could remember the gypies (owner operators)commin into his office for a trip lease and an advance for the load they were haulin, they looked about 10 feet tall a big wallet with a chain attached, cowboy boots & hat an smookin a Camel.I'm now 56 years old my dad and all my uncles are gone but memories an the stories i'll never forget! an boy i wouldn't trade those days for summer camp or baseball! BULLHUSK

Yeah,i'm right there with you,my grandad drove/ran a farm 60+ years,my dad ran trucks 50+ years,me i been at it almost 30 years..just about everyone on both sides was involved in trucking one way or another. I never did the "normal" summer things either,most summers i spent riding with my dad,spent a WHOLE lotta time unloading produce up at hunts point,NY spent some time with one of my uncles who was APA'S terminal manager at philly for 45 years,also had a cousin that ran a wrecker outfit in south jersey,so i guess its fair to say i'm from a trucking family!......Mark PS you run a garage in JC? next time i get up that way,maybe can drop by for a visit.

My wife found this picture at the flea market,she thought it was an old mack,and thought i'd like it for my toyroom, thought you guys might like it as well, kinda' got a kick outta' the AC pedalcar, i've seen a few of these but they are pretty pricey, the PETRO/ IOWA 80 in joplin,MO has a restored one on display in the restaurant, its a "working" dumptruck with a 2 speed kid powered trans. ...........Mark

post-5836-018714600 1277057032_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading otherdogs post "maybe It's time....." and this is what i was getting at with this one, these are some of the stories i was talking about,it's guys like old bill that we need to hear from, i am glad he has taken the time to write down some of his memories for all of us to read and enjoy! there has never been a definative history of trucking written, doubt there ever will be, but as i said, it's locked up in the minds and memories & photo albums of thousands of people worldwide. It's up to all of us interested in trucking/old trucks to try and preserve some of that history. And in my opinion, if an old timer needs our help, who better than people like us to help out.....trucking was a brotherhood back in my dad and grandads day, its come a LONG way from that now! the "comeraderie" of the road is long gone,never to return, and the publics bad opinion of us is never going to change either. I for one, don't even like to be called a "trucker" i am a professional truck driver, always have been, always will be.............Mark

post-5836-007527500 1278252174_thumb.jpg

Just finished reading otherdogs post "maybe It's time....." and this is what i was getting at with this one, these are some of the stories i was talking about,it's guys like old bill that we need to hear from, i am glad he has taken the time to write down some of his memories for all of us to read and enjoy! there has never been a definative history of trucking written, doubt there ever will be, but as i said, it's locked up in the minds and memories & photo albums of thousands of people worldwide. It's up to all of us interested in trucking/old trucks to try and preserve some of that history. And in my opinion, if an old timer needs our help, who better than people like us to help out.....trucking was a brotherhood back in my dad and grandads day, its come a LONG way from that now! the "comeraderie" of the road is long gone,never to return, and the publics bad opinion of us is never going to change either. I for one, don't even like to be called a "trucker" i am a professional truck driver, always have been, always will be.............Mark

Thank you Mark, this story goes way back, and I was just trying to help out a friend in need, thought maybe others might want to chip in.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showtopic=11447

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Well I got a very long history in trucking. I'm the 4th gen. driver. My great grandfather had 6 single axle dump trucks. With his own operating authority. Back when you couldn't get it easy. They also had a couple trucks leased to them taking 15%. It was him and his brother. They couldn't get along and they sold off all the trucks and there operating authority. The company that bought them are still in business today. Got around 18 trucks. Me and my dad always talk about how we got the shaft cuz the family back then couldn't get along.

My grandfather never own a truck but was a teamster. A very die hard temaster. He was the type of guy if you say one thing bad about Hoffa he was ready to fist fight. Thats was back when the teamsters were strong.

My dad been an 0/0 of a dump truck for over 25 years.

I been driving since i was 18 and I'm 26 now. My dad told me if i started driving he was going to brake my legs. :lol: Well that didn't happen. Its in my blood. I did go to work on tugboats for a little while but i didn't feel right. I just have to be behind the wheel.

BTW my other cousin also owns a truck and i has 2 other family members that drive.

100_0406.jpg100_0301.jpg

My Facebook.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Just tell me your from BMT.

Thank you Mark, this story goes way back, and I was just trying to help out a friend in need, thought maybe others might want to chip in.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showtopic=11447

Not a problem! i'm glad you sent me that link, i sure have enjoyed reading some of those stories! i gotta' few myself, but nothing really as interesting as some of bill's!..............Mark

Trucking achieved national attention during the 60s and 70s, when songs and movies about truck driving were major hits. Truck drivers participated in widespread strikes against the rising cost of fuel, during the energy crises of 1973 and 1979, and the entire industry was drastically deregulated by the Motor Carrier Act of 1980. Trucking has come to dominate the freight industry in the latter portion of the 20th Century, along with what are termed "big-box stores" such as Wal-Mart and Target.

Edited by Jinal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...