Fuel Problems

I just bought my 6th CH613. As usual, this one has problems all its own that I haven't run into before. Its a 1997 E7 427. Electronic but not ETech. You have to ether it to get it started. Runs good going down road. Let it idle and it lopes like its fixing to die. Starving for fuel. Kill it and you got to use ether again. When you turn key on, you can hear solenoid on fuel pump engage, assume that means its working. Didn't think to check malfunction light, but didn't notice it coming on. Usually gets my attention when they do. Will pay attention to that in morning, but gotta put exhaust manifold back on first, Changed the gaskets. I saw where little rig had pretty much same symptoms once, but assuming his is manual since its 1993. I could be wrong. Any suggestions??

MackAttack3

I just bought my 6th CH613. As usual, this one has problems all its own that I haven't run into before. Its a 1997 E7 427. Electronic but not ETech. You have to ether it to get it started. Runs good going down road. Let it idle and it lopes like its fixing to die. Starving for fuel. Kill it and you got to use ether again. When you turn key on, you can hear solenoid on fuel pump engage, assume that means its working. Didn't think to check malfunction light, but didn't notice it coming on. Usually gets my attention when they do. Will pay attention to that in morning, but gotta put exhaust manifold back on first, Changed the gaskets. I saw where little rig had pretty much same symptoms once, but assuming his is manual since its 1993. I could be wrong. Any suggestions??

You should need no either to start !You need to check your fuel preasure at the pump its loosing prime sumwhere your transfer pump check valves or somthing look for any evidence of fuel leaks chect the plastic return to the head at the front of the engine the jumper between the heads ect!

You should need no either to start !You need to check your fuel preasure at the pump its loosing prime sumwhere your transfer pump check valves or somthing look for any evidence of fuel leaks chect the plastic return to the head at the front of the engine the jumper between the heads ect!

Well i finally broke down and called my mechanic. The injector pump checks out okay, He says I have low compression and need a engine overhaul...

MackAttack3

Well i finally broke down and called my mechanic. The injector pump checks out okay, He says I have low compression and need a engine overhaul...

Do you have alot of blu smoke on startup?He may be right if not hes pulling your chain!The thing should sputter and slober for 5 minutes or so before cleaning up! if its worn out!

I call B.S.

If it was worn out to the point of not having enough compression to start at normal ambient temperatures (70*), you'd have massive amounts of blow by coming out the crankcase breather,along with massive oil consumption, and you did not mention either of those problems.

I've seen (and owned) a lot of worn out Mack engines, and they all would start without ether at 70* or so.

I agree with FJH, there's a leak somwhere on the suction side of the fuel system, and a drainback problem when it is not running.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, overhauled engine, it had 900,000 miles on it, looked like original parts. Was a good idea. Since I didn't give much for it in first place, I'm okay with my decision. But, yall were right, still won't start. I'm fixing to show my ignorance here. I checked the plastic return lines, the jumper between heads. Had problems with that before on some of the others. By transfer pump, do you mean the hand primer pump? I didn't mention when you start it with ether, it doesn't miss at all like you would think it would if it was getting air somewhere. And if you kill it and you're really fast it will start back, you wait 60 seconds and it won't start. No noticable fuel leaks anywhere. I bought it, drove it home, maybe 80 miles, overhauled it, finally got it put back together tonight. Let her run for awhile, sounds better than any of the rest of 'em. Guess I'll try to make a few loads with her, see if I discover anything after running it all day. Willing to try anything..Thanks in advance.

MackAttack3

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, overhauled engine, it had 900,000 miles on it, looked like original parts. Was a good idea. Since I didn't give much for it in first place, I'm okay with my decision. But, yall were right, still won't start. I'm fixing to show my ignorance here. I checked the plastic return lines, the jumper between heads. Had problems with that before on some of the others. By transfer pump, do you mean the hand primer pump? I didn't mention when you start it with ether, it doesn't miss at all like you would think it would if it was getting air somewhere. And if you kill it and you're really fast it will start back, you wait 60 seconds and it won't start. No noticable fuel leaks anywhere. I bought it, drove it home, maybe 80 miles, overhauled it, finally got it put back together tonight. Let her run for awhile, sounds better than any of the rest of 'em. Guess I'll try to make a few loads with her, see if I discover anything after running it all day. Willing to try anything..Thanks in advance.

MackAttack3