i already asked about air ride, so now i ask about the two kinds of spring suspension i seem to be finding. originally, i thought they were all camelback, but i have decided that "spring" suspensions are really "tapered leaf" suspensions, and are a different beast from camelback.

leaving behind "walking beam", what are the benefits of one over the other?

the taperleaf I think had 3 or 4 springs and had a nicer ride than camelback. however IMO they were not as strong and seamed to be used more in On road tractors. Camelback is pretty bullet proof and parts are cheep. both did good in the off road but camelback could take overloads alot better. Nothing wrong with either and if its not going to be used for work the taperleaf will put less abuse on you and the truck. just my .02

the taperleaf I think had 3 or 4 springs and had a nicer ride than camelback. however IMO they were not as strong and seamed to be used more in On road tractors. Camelback is pretty bullet proof and parts are cheep. both did good in the off road but camelback could take overloads alot better. Nothing wrong with either and if its not going to be used for work the taperleaf will put less abuse on you and the truck. just my .02

Are you are referring to the Mack ST suspension? This suspension was set up similar to the camelback suspension. It had a trunnion & bushing, etc. like the camelback or SS suspension, but was only 3 or 4 leafs. The springs were attached to the axles at one time with buckets & cushions like on the SS, but later with eccentric eye bushings that allowed for axle alignment. These tended to be a problem if not maintained. At on time Mack issued a recall on the suspensions axle attaching bolts.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I think that is the one that I recall. never worked on on that suspension but It looks as I remember it. I recall it did have a few issues but never knew much about it to research it. I drove 3 trucks with this style and always liked how smooth they were (for a spring ride)when empty. they also had 4 dampers(one at each corner)

to help control the tandems... If I recall only the 2 or 3 upper springs made contact with the lower main springs when the truck was loaded. hard to explain but I think one spring was arched a little diffrent? correct me if im wrong?

Trent

I think that is the one that I recall. never worked on on that suspension but It looks as I remember it. I recall it did have a few issues but never knew much about it to research it. I drove 3 trucks with this style and always liked how smooth they were (for a spring ride)when empty. they also had 4 dampers(one at each corner)

to help control the tandems... If I recall only the 2 or 3 upper springs made contact with the lower main springs when the truck was loaded. hard to explain but I think one spring was arched a little diffrent? correct me if im wrong?

Trent

I haven't had much experience with them either. I think the main problem with them was the bolts in the later version that used bushings would break. The fix was to line ream the axle housing hanger bracket eyes so that 1" bolts could be used instead of 7/8" bolts. Mack has a newer suspension the "M Ride" that is kind of similar to this. I think it's actually a Volvo design used priamrily on the VHD.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I haven't had much experience with them either. I think the main problem with them was the bolts in the later version that used bushings would break. The fix was to line ream the axle housing hanger bracket eyes so that 1" bolts could be used instead of 7/8" bolts. Mack has a newer suspension the "M Ride" that is kind of similar to this. I think it's actually a Volvo design used priamrily on the VHD.

Its Volvo's T-Ride but with an M. 6 rod design.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!