Another Question ?

Allison

Ok guys im trying to oil my steering box for the trailer of my 57 tiller truck. Under the tillers seat is a gear box that the steering collumn runs down to. This box has a fill plug in the top and the bottom.. I took out the top plug and oil welled up out!!?? hhhhmm ok ... i figured i would open the top plug and simply add some gear oil.. obviously there is oil above this plug to make it well up and out so im trying to figure out where to add oil. I went up to the steering wheel and took off the center cap and found a large nut holding the wheel on. In the middle of this nut is about a 1" opening that seems to run the length of the steering shaft down to that gear box.. IS this where you add oil.... down this hole in the center of the steering wheel??? It does seem to be a shaft inside of a shaft. The outer Chrome shaft is stationary. ??

Thanks in advance!!

Allison

Allison...you were in the right place to add oil. The bottom plug is to drain the oil and the top plug is to add it. How do you know it needs oil? If it comes out when you remove the plug it sounds like no oil is needed. If it were mine, I would remove both plugs to drain the gear box, replace the lower plug, and refill it through the top hole. Do not add it through the hole in the center of the wheel.

<br />Ok guys im trying to oil my steering box for the trailer of my 57 tiller truck. Under the tillers seat is a gear box that the steering collumn runs down to. This box has a fill plug in the top and the bottom.. I took out the top plug and oil welled up out!!?? hhhhmm ok ... i figured i would open the top plug and simply add some gear oil.. obviously there is oil above this plug to make it well up and out so im trying to figure out where to add oil. I went up to the steering wheel and took off the center cap and found a large nut holding the wheel on. In the middle of this nut is about a 1" opening that seems to run the length of the steering shaft down to that gear box.. IS this where you add oil.... down this hole in the center of the steering wheel??? It does seem to be a shaft inside of a shaft. The outer Chrome shaft is stationary. ?? <br /><br />Thanks in advance!!<br /><br />Allison<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Kenny Lane

Kenny,

Thanks for the reply.. I have heard of steering columns that run inside of another column which got my gears spinning since this is something i thought i had..

The whole reason i started looking up was because the oil wells up and out of the top plug like there is a good amount of oil somehow above that point. I mean is comes up and out like its got something pushing it. I thought about what you advised but i just wanted to see if i was missing something.. Is there any way to lubricate the steering shaft?? The outer chrome column piece doesn’t move at all so there must be a inner shaft that the wheel actually turns??

Allison

• 2 weeks later...