R600 Dash Swap - Steel/plastic

Someone must have changed the cab at some point. The plastic dash didn't come out until 1973 (at least here in the states anyway).

As far as swapping it out for a steel dash, I never tried that.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Hi, My 67 flintstone has got the larger wrap around plastic dash in it, first question did they ever come out with them in 67 and second how hard is it to replace it with a steel flat dash?

cheers

Hi, same here in oz, the 1973 cab was longer to, and had a long grab handle to climb up to door, i would imagine it would be a time consumeing exercise to convert back to a steel dash.

Grant

Hi, same here in oz, the 1973 cab was longer to, and had a long grab handle to climb up to door, i would imagine it would be a time consumeing exercise to convert back to a steel dash.

Grant

Im guessing your both right, looks like its had a later model cab put on at some stage, certainly wasnt for rust problem as this ones riddled with it. When you say cab is longer - how much longer and any other differences? has short steel handles like the b model at present.

ellis

Im guessing your both right, looks like its had a later model cab put on at some stage, certainly wasnt for rust problem as this ones riddled with it. When you say cab is longer - how much longer and any other differences? has short steel handles like the b model at present.

ellis

Hello, there about 4inches longer, thats about the only difference I think? the steel dash cab was shorter with small hand rails and the plastic dash cab was longer with long hand rails, all rust repair sections are available for plastic dash cabs.

regards Grant

Hi Ellis,

If you go to ducky698's album on page 17 of the gallery and go thru the pics you will see a

Flinstone, a side shot of the cab, that is the early cab with the steel dash. There is also a pic

of a rusted out late cab, the cab with the plastic dash, if you study those pics you will see the

difference in the two cab lengths, the bigger cab is 3" longer noticable in the back wall.

The long grab handles as fitted to the later cab were fitted at the factory to the early cabs

from about early 1973, the cabs were built to use the longer handles. The later cab became

standard in Australia during early 75, before that time there were some fitted with the bigger cab

from late 74.

Regards Jeff.

Hello, there about 4inches longer, thats about the only difference I think? the steel dash cab was shorter with small hand rails and the plastic dash cab was longer with long hand rails, all rust repair sections are available for plastic dash cabs.

regards Grant

Thanks fellas, im up with the b models but obviously dont as much re flintstones. ive checked out those pics, does look to be a noticable difference. The cab ive got now measures 37/8" from back cab to seal or 43/4" from back to complete edge including the seal, if you could let me know exactly what one it is, would be good. where can i get the rust replacement panels etc and i guess next thing is that theyre going to cost a mint.

cheers ellis

Edited by ellis

Ellis, those measurements are for the early cab. You could find another cab if yours is badly rusted and you want a flat dash.

To put and old dash back in would be a cow of a job as the original dash is part of the cab and it would've been cut out.

If you can find a big cab minus the dash you can see the remnants of the old dash in the pressing and that would give you an idea

of what you'd be up against.

Jeff.

Ellis, those measurements are for the early cab. You could find another cab if yours is badly rusted and you want a flat dash.

To put and old dash back in would be a cow of a job as the original dash is part of the cab and it would've been cut out.

If you can find a big cab minus the dash you can see the remnants of the old dash in the pressing and that would give you an idea

of what you'd be up against.

Jeff.

Hi, where is it rusty? the flintstone cab in the pics is not getting used, Jeff, Hi Jeff! :) got all the dash out of that cab, so the cab is just sitting there waiting for a home. I am using the later cab on my flintstone.

regards Grant

Hi, where is it rusty? the flintstone cab in the pics is not getting used, Jeff, Hi Jeff! :) got all the dash out of that cab, so the cab is just sitting there waiting for a home. I am using the later cab on my flintstone.

regards Grant

thanks again for info fellas. i can see underneath my dash that its plated and bolted to what looks like whats left of the original. this cabs got rust everywhere, roof gutter, above doors and A pillars and below in same. i know anything can be cut out and rebuilt but is going to be a big job. called Moores wrecking in qld yest they have a flintstone tipper i believe in reasonable nick but theyre unsure how theyre going to sell it. ive still got a bit of work left on B then ill tackle this one. i just thought it would be more oringinal with flat dash, must admit was better for driving with this one but wont be using it that much in future. Also where can i get info on these flintstones, data, measurements, what chassis/ motors etc. Im in south aus for what its worth.

cheers ellis

thanks again for info fellas. i can see underneath my dash that its plated and bolted to what looks like whats left of the original. this cabs got rust everywhere, roof gutter, above doors and A pillars and below in same. i know anything can be cut out and rebuilt but is going to be a big job. called Moores wrecking in qld yest they have a flintstone tipper i believe in reasonable nick but theyre unsure how theyre going to sell it. ive still got a bit of work left on B then ill tackle this one. i just thought it would be more oringinal with flat dash, must admit was better for driving with this one but wont be using it that much in future. Also where can i get info on these flintstones, data, measurements, what chassis/ motors etc. Im in south aus for what its worth.

cheers ellis

Hi, I am in WA, Jeff will have all that info Im sure. your welcom to this cab, but shipping be atleast 500 I think? where in SA are you? theres a guy in Grafton SA, I think thats where he said??? has some bits, he was on ebay a bit. new panels can be bought thru mack, there is a pic of a front side section in my pics, that was 450.00 the lower sill is around 220.00, roof is 1000,00, gutter parts range from 200 to 800.00 an doors non gen out of the USA for about 300 each. another cab will be easier :)

regards Grant

Hi, I am in WA, Jeff will have all that info Im sure. your welcom to this cab, but shipping be atleast 500 I think? where in SA are you? theres a guy in Grafton SA, I think thats where he said??? has some bits, he was on ebay a bit. new panels can be bought thru mack, there is a pic of a front side section in my pics, that was 450.00 the lower sill is around 220.00, roof is 1000,00, gutter parts range from 200 to 800.00 an doors non gen out of the USA for about 300 each. another cab will be easier :)

regards Grant

Gday Grant, im an hr or so south of Adelaide. only grafton i know is in nsw, but not 100%sure if theres another. local wrecker has a 600 but is just as stuffed, i got air tank and a xmember off it yr or so back but rest is near usless, having said that im not sure about what dash its got?? i guess trouble with getting your old one over is its probably in same state as mine. ill try local mack dealer for panels but whenever ive gone there for say a radiator hose for C motor they scratch around for a while to find old book then someone to make sense of it, i think they reckon a 96' model is old. will try em anyway but first will cut out areas and see where and how bad it really is.

once again thanks for info, dont know if youve done any more to yours but put some pics on if you have, would be good to see.

cheers ellis

Gday Grant, im an hr or so south of Adelaide. only grafton i know is in nsw, but not 100%sure if theres another. local wrecker has a 600 but is just as stuffed, i got air tank and a xmember off it yr or so back but rest is near usless, having said that im not sure about what dash its got?? i guess trouble with getting your old one over is its probably in same state as mine. ill try local mack dealer for panels but whenever ive gone there for say a radiator hose for C motor they scratch around for a while to find old book then someone to make sense of it, i think they reckon a 96' model is old. will try em anyway but first will cut out areas and see where and how bad it really is.

once again thanks for info, dont know if youve done any more to yours but put some pics on if you have, would be good to see.

cheers ellis

Hello, give Matthew Hendry a ring, he is at a Mack dealer on the Gold coast, they will ship no probs through TNT his number is 07 5596 3972 he is on the ball with the old stuff.

pic attached of cab

post-2194-127331964234_thumb.jpg

cheers ellis

Hello, here is another pic. there from a book from 1977 but it will give you an idea of how the parts are laid out.

post-2194-127331983159_thumb.jpg

Hello, here is another pic. there from a book from 1977 but it will give you an idea of how the parts are laid out.

Hi, thanks Grant. Ill give him a call, sounds good and diagrams give a good idea what i need to order.

take it easy

ellis