Questions On Running Gear

Hey Gents, I am at a cross roads and could use some advise. My B-42 restore project has hit a snag. My tandems (camel backs suspension) have a 8.15 gears and for I am looking to do with this truck I am going to need a much lower gear ratio such as 4.11-ish. I would like to be able to run highway speeds (65+ MPH). For the types of rear ends I have it looks like the lowest gear ratio they offered was in the 6's. I would also like to upgrade the brakes and get away from the cans...

So the more I think about it, the more I think it will be more cost effective to go ahead and swap out the rears for either a different set of rears or change to a single axle, and so swap out the front axle. With that being said what are the better options with regards to newer axles. For example, when I rebuilt my 60s ford pickup it was common knowledge that you can take the suspension off a 70s ford and it would bolt right up and you get the benefits of disc brakes and newer parts, etc... Does this sort of thing exist for the B-model macks? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Edited by wyodog