B-421 "sx" W/b Suspension Rubber Bushings

DMorgan

Hello everybody,

I got a B-421 "SX" with the walking beam (NOT Camelback), suspension on it. I was wondering if anybody knows if Mack or anyone else makes reproduction rubber bushings for it? All you can see on mine is a few remnents of rubber left. Thanks for your help, Daniel

Hello everybody,

I got a B-421 "SX" with the walking beam (NOT Camelback), suspension on it. I was wondering if anybody knows if Mack or anyone else makes reproduction rubber bushings for it? All you can see on mine is a few remnents of rubber left. Thanks for your help, Daniel

A lot of truck parts vendors that rebuild drivelines can rebuild the walking beams. It is costly and seldom performed any longer due to age of the suspension. There are also pins and it takes several tons of hydraulic pressure to get those out.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A lot of truck parts vendors that rebuild drivelines can rebuild the walking beams. It is costly and seldom performed any longer due to age of the suspension. There are also pins and it takes several tons of hydraulic pressure to get those out.

Rob

Rob, do you think that I could buy the rubber bushings and put them in my self? And also I'm not real sure what you mean by the pin that is hard to get out. Are you talking about the big pin that the beams pivot on? Thanks for your help, Daniel

Rob, do you think that I could buy the rubber bushings and put them in my self? And also I'm not real sure what you mean by the pin that is hard to get out. Are you talking about the big pin that the beams pivot on? Thanks for your help, Daniel

I think you could purchase whatever you needed but there are mandrels and guides used to both push, and pull the existing bushings and shells out. If the beams are worn into such as used way beyond "worn out", it can really get expensive. The pivot pins are difficult to extract without the proper hydraulics and adapters as are the retention pins to the axle housings. The bushing kits themselves are probably not over a couple hundred dollars complete with bolts, but the labor is a killer.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I think you could purchase whatever you needed but there are mandrels and guides used to both push, and pull the existing bushings and shells out. If the beams are worn into such as used way beyond "worn out", it can really get expensive. The pivot pins are difficult to extract without the proper hydraulics and adapters as are the retention pins to the axle housings. The bushing kits themselves are probably not over a couple hundred dollars complete with bolts, but the labor is a killer.

Rob

Rob, So far as I can tell, the beams don't look too worn out at all. They still have the bushings in them, its just the bushings at the bottom of each bogie that are gone. And if it gets too tough trying to get it apart, I know a guy thet has either a 60 or 80 ton press that might help it along.

Thanks a lot for your help, Daniel