En 401 Questions

DMorgan

Hello Everybody,

I just bought a 1963 B-421 "SX" with what I think is an EN 401 engine in it.We got the engine running pretty easily after we got it home and I was wondering how reliable these engines were? Also I was wondering where the engine model and serial number is located? I looked all over and couldn't find it.

Hello Everybody,

I just bought a 1963 B-421 "SX" with what I think is an EN 401 engine in it.We got the engine running pretty easily after we got it home and I was wondering how reliable these engines were? Also I was wondering where the engine model and serial number is located? I looked all over and couldn't find it.

Good engine in it's day but parts are long obsolete. There should be a metal plate or tag that is drive riveted to the passenger side of the head at the front. The number is sometimes stamped into the block under where this tag is/was. The tag will have the word "Magnadyne" pressed, or silk screened onto it.

Not a lot of power to be had out of that engine and it likes it's gas.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Good engine in it's day but parts are long obsolete. There should be a metal plate or tag that is drive riveted to the passenger side of the head at the front. The number is sometimes stamped into the block under where this tag is/was. The tag will have the word "Magnadyne" pressed, or silk screened onto it.

Not a lot of power to be had out of that engine and it likes it's gas.

Rob

Rob, Thanks for the information.The tag on my engine is missing, i can see the two rivet holes where it was. Also I found a place that is supposed to have bearings, rings, crankshafts, injectors and a lot of other parts for the old Mack gas and diesel engines.I don't know if they have parts for all the engines, but they say that they do for The ENDT 673 and the EN 401 engines. Their website is jobbersinc.com . I have not actually talked to them so I don't know for sure if they actually got the parts or not.

Thanks, Daniel

Rob, Thanks for the information.The tag on my engine is missing, i can see the two rivet holes where it was. Also I found a place that is supposed to have bearings, rings, crankshafts, injectors and a lot of other parts for the old Mack gas and diesel engines.I don't know if they have parts for all the engines, but they say that they do for The ENDT 673 and the EN 401 engines. Their website is jobbersinc.com . I have not actually talked to them so I don't know for sure if they actually got the parts or not.

Thanks, Daniel

Be prepared for a real surprise dealing with them.......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.