The Old Girl Runs !

Had a big family BBQ yesterday, and told my step dad the only we he can eat is if he gets up in the hood and gets the truck running.

Earlier in the week I bought some new cables for the batteries, my co-hort Chris put them on and then my step dad climbed up in, fudged around with what we think is the cable or linkage that controls the engine stop cable and she started right up !!

She ran for a while then we took her out onto the LIE for a few exits, she ran real nice, a little bumpy cause the tires had some flat spots but the truck ran nice.

I think though that I need to either have the generator rebuilt or replaced since the truck doesnt seem to be holding a charge, after all that running, it didnt start up again.

:thumb:

Had a big family BBQ yesterday, and told my step dad the only we he can eat is if he gets up in the hood and gets the truck running.

Earlier in the week I bought some new cables for the batteries, my co-hort Chris put them on and then my step dad climbed up in, fudged around with what we think is the cable or linkage that controls the engine stop cable and she started right up !!

She ran for a while then we took her out onto the LIE for a few exits, she ran real nice, a little bumpy cause the tires had some flat spots but the truck ran nice.

I think though that I need to either have the generator rebuilt or replaced since the truck doesnt seem to be holding a charge, after all that running, it didnt start up again.

Hi Donna, glad to hear you got her going!! its always a blast taking that first shake down ride!! cause then you find out right away what other things need worked on! have fun with the progress, Doug :SMOKIE-LFT:

Donna : Gald to hear you got it going. Get ahold of a voltmeter and start at the generator at about 1200 RPM and see what voltage you get there should be around 12.8 to 13.8 depending on battery charge. But even before doing that with the engine off ,momentraly jump the Bat. and Gen.or Arm. terminals ofthe voltage regulator. That will polerize the generator and that may be all that is wrong. If you have the correct voltage at the Gen., then check at the Bat. terminal of the regulator. If good there check at the S/P switch terminal where the wire from the amp meter connects. If the Gen. is putting out these checks should tell you where your problem lies. As to the Gen. pull the cover band and make sure the brushes move freely in their holders. With the engine running take a piece of Shoch Brite and give the armature a cleaning. Sometimes you need to pull the regulator cover and clean the contacts in there Carefully!!!

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

• 2 weeks later...