Dm Swap 673 For 675

silverstar

Hello, I am new here and love the site. I have a 68 DM600, I am replacing the 673 nonturbo motor with a 675 turboed out of a U model. I want to keep my quad box trans. To do this i have to keep my 673 bell housing and flywheel, question is, the 673 ran a single disk clutch, the 675 ran a 2 disk clutch with the 5 speed. Will a single disk clutch hold the torque and horsepower of the 675, and will the quad box handle the added power. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Doug Fetterly told me some years ago -

"Drive it like you Own it, and you'll be fine"

That always struck me as good advice.

The multiple disc clutches were definitely made for the increased torque of the Maxidyne engines.

The single disc, push type clutches were pretty tough, but less than ideal for hard use behind the newer engines.

If you are lightly using the truck, or just showing it, the old clutch set-up should be OK as long as it is in good shape. If you are working the truck, you really are just asking for trouble.

Paul Van Scott

Hello, I am new here and love the site. I have a 68 DM600, I am replacing the 673 nonturbo motor with a 675 turboed out of a U model. I want to keep my quad box trans. To do this i have to keep my 673 bell housing and flywheel, question is, the 673 ran a single disk clutch, the 675 ran a 2 disk clutch with the 5 speed. Will a single disk clutch hold the torque and horsepower of the 675, and will the quad box handle the added power. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

The single disc clutch will hold it just fine as long as it's not driven by a driver thats hard on clutches.

Been there & done just what you're proposing to do.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Mr. HK is correct.A good friend of mine has done just that in a '65 R600 that was his lowboy tractor for almost 30 years!A 237 with a quad using a single disc clutch(loaded with extra HD pressure plate springs) was able to haul his 225 CAT excavator with ease. As the others say, "Be good to the truck, and it will be good to you" :mack1:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA