Engine Help Needed

joes mack

im thinking about buying a 1977 dm800 with a 300 engine 6 speed trans my question is what would cause the engine smoke white when idleing and on the jake? when you get back on the fuel it will clear up and still has plenty of power it runs good until you let it set for a few mins at idle then it smokes agin no matter what the engine temp. i hope this is something simple. thanks for reading my post joe

• Like 1

im thinking about buying a 1977 dm800 with a 300 engine 6 speed trans my question is what would cause the engine smoke white when idleing and on the jake? when you get back on the fuel it will clear up and still has plenty of power it runs good until you let it set for a few mins at idle then it smokes agin no matter what the engine temp. i hope this is something simple. thanks for reading my post joe

ff

Yup simple !Turn the jake off!As soon as the pedal is in the idle position the engine brake will engage!

its not the engine brake on when its at a idle its strong enough to kill the engine on the low side. its when the truck is setting long enough to get loaded at idle or when hauling coal down the mountain with the jake on. sorry for the confusion i should of clarified myself in the orig post. you have to look over me im a sleep deprived moron. joe

Edited by joes mack

its not the engine brake on when its at a idle its strong enough to kill the engine on the low side. its when the truck is setting long enough to get loaded at idle or when hauling coal down the mountain with the jake on. sorry for the confusion i should of clarified myself in the orig post. you have to look over me im a sleep deprived moron. joe

I would suspect valve guides or turbo seals !Does It smell like oil smoke or fuel!??Fuel smoke kinda burns the eyes!

turn the jake off when your loading for a try thou.

it smells like fuel.

Try turning the jake switch off while loading!If that don't work then you might try adjusting the timing a bit!

The fuel pump might be worn some causing the timing to be off!Also what temp is it running at? to cold can cause this!

the temp run between 140 when at bottom fo mountain getting redy to dump and 180 when pulling the other side loaded in 2nd 3rd direct at the hardest pull at about 1700/1750 rpm. the owner says that it does this even in the summer time. could this be bad injectors bypassing fuel. when at idle or on the jake coming down the mountain?

Edited by joes mack

the temp run between 140 when at bottom fo mountain getting redy to dump and 180 when pulling the other side loaded in 2nd 3rd direct at the hardest pull at about 1700/1750 rpm. the owner says that it does this even in the summer time. could this be bad injectors bypassing fuel. when at idle or on the jake coming down the mountain?

Change the t stat 180 consistant! see what happens

this truck owner is asking 16,000 for the truck and his spot with the company he hauls for. with the info you have given me i think it would be a good buy considering i have another truck to haul with while im changing small parts on this one. the truck has been took care of sence it was new 1 o/o he is just redy to retire. thanks for all the info.. joe