I understand that a heater operates off of the hot water generated by cooling the engine. have a 1972 Mack CF-600 with a 673 diesel engine. Both of the valves that feed the heater core in the cab are open. Yet I get no heat in the cab. I first suspected the heater core, removed it, and water flows through it freely. The core looks like it was replaced not long ago. I see the temperature control valve in the cab opening when the temp control is pulled. Still no heat. When I feel of the heater hoses coming to the core, neither is hot. Has anyone got any suggestions? I've wondered if possibly one of the valves in the heater hose is turning but is still not opening. But I think I recall feeling of the hose past the valve and it was warm. What do you guys think. What am I missing?

Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Kenny Lane

I understand that a heater operates off of the hot water generated by cooling the engine. have a 1972 Mack CF-600 with a 673 diesel engine. Both of the valves that feed the heater core in the cab are open. Yet I get no heat in the cab. I first suspected the heater core, removed it, and water flows through it freely. The core looks like it was replaced not long ago. I see the temperature control valve in the cab opening when the temp control is pulled. Still no heat. When I feel of the heater hoses coming to the core, neither is hot. Has anyone got any suggestions? I've wondered if possibly one of the valves in the heater hose is turning but is still not opening. But I think I recall feeling of the hose past the valve and it was warm. What do you guys think. What am I missing?

I know it was a day and a half I went without heat when I changed the thermostat...I didn't know to close the valve to the heater core and that line doesn't have an air release. If you have had it open and there is still air filling the heater core, it's not going to blow hot air. The hoses get warm to the touch because of the circulating water...but if there's air, it ain't circulating and the lines won't get warm.

I'm not sure if that's your problem or not...just tossing it out there as a possibility. This time of year sure ain't the time to be without heat. :(

Think Antarctica Is Cold? Try America

By Jeremy Kaplan - FOXNews.com

Inhospitable, barren, and covered in snow and ice year round, the North and South Pole epitomize frigid conditions. Yet it's currently colder across the United States than at both poles.

The South Pole is the coldest place on Earth -- just take a look at the most recent images from the webcam at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, which captures a new picture of those freezing conditions every 15 minutes. But at present, it's merely -12 Fahrenheit.

The North Pole is normally significantly warmer than the South, but it's a chilly -17 up there right now, a temperature that must sound positively Caribbean to anyone living in, say, Bismark, North Dakota (-33 Fahrenheit at present).

Wind chills across the United States are bringing our sub-freezing temperatures as low as 50 degrees below zero, making large swaths of the country substantially colder than either pole.

It's colder from Dallas to Denver than it is at the South pole. North and South Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa are recording temps ranging from 5 down to -18; With the wind chill, it feels -17 F in Topeka, Kansas. Even Memphis sits at 10 degrees, and around 0 with the wind chill. Temps at Sun Studios shouldn't feel like the South Pole.

The National Weather Service continually monitors weather conditions at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station in Antarctica, where it's currently -7 Fahrenheit. The mean temperature last year at Antarctica's South Pole was -54 Fahrenheit. The highest temperature ever recorded at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station was 7.5 F on Dec. 27, 1978, while the lowest was −117 F on Jun. 23, 1982. Brrr!

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration operates a North Pole webcam, deployed on an ice floe at the Pole. NOAA shuts down the cam over the winter due to the winter darkness, which lasts from October to March. In the dark of winter today, it's currently -17.

Brace yourself for a cold and blustery winter here at home ... or maybe pay a visit to balmy Antarctica.

:wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!