Type 45 Pumper

DWaits

Does anyone know what engine the type 45 pumpers used?

The fellow who has this for sale does not know anything about it, here is the info he has.

The engine number is: 5N330G468UK (Hard to make out a couple of the didgits)

"Copper Chrome" cast in engine

8/8/48 cast in cylinder head

Chassis # 45S1488

Thanks!

DW

1948 Mack Pumper

According to my fire truck book by harvey eckart, the type 45s had Continental 290 or 330 CI, 103 or 123 L head, about 544 of them were built.

Thanks for the info, I really need to get that book for myself.

I am pretty sure it has the Continental 330 since the casting numbers on the block have 330. I wonder if the 330 would be underpowerd for my S75, the 45's used the same frame and were about the same size as the 75's

David

1948 Mack Pumper

Thanks for the info, I really need to get that book for myself.

I am pretty sure it has the Continental 330 since the casting numbers on the block have 330. I wonder if the 330 would be underpowerd for my S75, the 45's used the same frame and were about the same size as the 75's

David

Well, that didn't work very well. I will try it again:

I happen to be looking for a '48 model 45. Will you be purchasing this vehicle? If not, would you mind sharing the contact info? Trying to find a replica of our original engine. The records have been destroyed so there is no chance of finding the original VIN. As I recall, as a rookie firefighter opening up that big old hood, I didn't see any copper! But I seem to recall the crusty old captain at the time cursing the Continental engines! Thanks. DEN

Well, that didn't work very well. I will try it again:

I happen to be looking for a '48 model 45. Will you be purchasing this vehicle? If not, would you mind sharing the contact info? Trying to find a replica of our original engine. The records have been destroyed so there is no chance of finding the original VIN. As I recall, as a rookie firefighter opening up that big old hood, I didn't see any copper! But I seem to recall the crusty old captain at the time cursing the Continental engines! Thanks. DEN

What I was looking at buying was only the engine and chassis, it was on Ebay last week.

I had the highest bid but I did not make the reserve price, if you want the Ebay item number I can give it to you

but I am betting the seller has taken it to the crusher. No harm in trying though.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

What I was looking at buying was only the engine and chassis, it was on Ebay last week.

I had the highest bid but I did not make the reserve price, if you want the Ebay item number I can give it to you

but I am betting the seller has taken it to the crusher. No harm in trying though.

David

Sure, I'll take it. Funny, I've been watching e-bay but must have missed that one. DEN

Sure, I'll take it. Funny, I've been watching e-bay but must have missed that one. DEN

It was listed twice and no one bid the first time and I was the only bidder the 2ND time it was listed.

His seller ID is 195751 and the item number was 8073156026.

Here is a picture of it as well.

Good luck! It would have been a 24 hour round trip for me, thats why I had a lower bid. It would have been around $500 for me in fuel and food for me and my buddy to go pick it up.

1948 Mack Pumper

• 1 month later...

Amazing that the seller didn't want to sell the truck to his only bidder even though you didn't make the reserve price. Be a sad story if she was scrapped.

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

Amazing that the seller didn't want to sell the truck to his only bidder even though you didn't make the reserve price. Be a sad story if she was scrapped.

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Andy,

It is listed on Ebay again for a Third time, this time it has a minimum bid of $300.

I would pay $300 for it if it did not cost so much for me to pick it up, diesel is 3.00 a gallon now and my truck

money is getting tight. Maybe someone will get it and keep it from being scraped.

David

1948 Mack Pumper