Liars!

other dog

I was browsing the Motifakes site ( http://www.motifake.com/index.php?top=0 ) this morning and saw a "free" download to resize and edit pictures. I tried the free sample and liked it-you could resize any picture on your PC with a slide bar and it was really quick and easy. So I downloaded the program and it said "unactivated" version...huh? Oh yeah, to "activate" it cost $39.95. In other words to actually be able to use it just send $39.95. I guess they weren't really lying, the download WAS free.

It's just like the "free" scans you can get that finds all the errors on your computer-but to "fix" them you have to pay. And they always find about 3,000 errors. I get those a lot, then i'll run my registry cleaner (that I did pay for) and it'll say I have 27 errors and fix them. I don't know if it really does anything or not to be honest, but somebody's got to be lying when the unpaid for "free" scan says you have 1300 errors and the other says you have 17.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Beware of the free crap that is advertised on the net. Anyone offering you anti-virus, spyware, registry or tuneup scans through a pop up or banner ad is pure bull s**t, same goes for other software such as photo editing. Instead Use known and trusted antivirus and other security related softeware.

First off I would recommend ClamWin which is based on the free and open source ClamAV which is used on many large (and small) email servers to catch email viruses before they reach the client. I also reccomend AVG antivirus which has a free version that is both free to download and free to use. AVG does make it a bit confusing to find it at times because they would prefer you pay for the software which does have perks such as anti root-kit protection (the worst type of virus). There are also a few other good scanners that are free to download and use such as Super antispyware, ad-aware and malware bytes anti malware. All of which I have used to clean out infected PC's with good results (although I will admit some are so badly infected its almost impossible to clean them out 100% - the dreaded root-kit is the main culprit).

As for image editing tools, paint.net is free to download and use and is very powerful. Also the free and open source GIMP is excellent too. I does have a dumb name but stands for: GNU Image Manipulation Program.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Beware of the free crap that is advertised on the net. Anyone offering you anti-virus, spyware, registry or tuneup scans through a pop up or banner ad is pure bull s**t, same goes for other software such as photo editing. Instead Use known and trusted antivirus and other security related softeware.

First off I would recommend ClamWin which is based on the free and open source ClamAV which is used on many large (and small) email servers to catch email viruses before they reach the client. I also reccomend AVG antivirus which has a free version that is both free to download and free to use. AVG does make it a bit confusing to find it at times because they would prefer you pay for the software which does have perks such as anti root-kit protection (the worst type of virus). There are also a few other good scanners that are free to download and use such as Super antispyware, ad-aware and malware bytes anti malware. All of which I have used to clean out infected PC's with good results (although I will admit some are so badly infected its almost impossible to clean them out 100% - the dreaded root-kit is the main culprit).

As for image editing tools, paint.net is free to download and use and is very powerful. Also the free and open source GIMP is excellent too. I does have a dumb name but stands for: GNU Image Manipulation Program.

Paint is what I use. I have Avast anti-virus protection because Old Bill reccomended it to me when my Norton expired. He uses the pro version, I use the free version which he said was all I needed. I've been well satisfied with it. I've heard and seen in online reviews that AVG is the best though.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Paint is what I use. I have Avast anti-virus protection because Old Bill reccomended it to me when my Norton expired. He uses the pro version, I use the free version which he said was all I needed. I've been well satisfied with it. I've heard and seen in online reviews that AVG is the best though.

OR, buy a Mac

my daugher has a mac. do you not need virus protection with these? she was trying to explain the difference in computers but i dont know enough about the mac yet.

If she told you that Mac owners didn't have to put up with such nonsense, she is right. Many of these problems are related to discipline. Don't open pop up's, which I seldom have. Special offers, such as " you are the 1,000,000 customer you have just won a new Toyota", or Email's from unknown sources. I have had other problems, but nothing like a virus on any of my Mac's.

my daugher has a mac. do you not need virus protection with these? she was trying to explain the difference in computers but i dont know enough about the mac yet.

The reason the Mac systems do not have any real viruses in the wild is because of the small market share and better security model. Mac's are not 100% virus proof but that doesn't mean you should be lax with your browsing and email habits.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!