Dump Body Questions..

When you see dump bodies that are polished is that a factory thing? Stupid question but I mean you arent gonna do that with a regular steel body correct?

So if you had a steel black body and wanted a polished one...do you switch up? Get a buffer and go to work for a decade? Whats the word on that?

Thanks.

Jesse

"You som'bitches could'nt close an umbrella!"

When you see dump bodies that are polished is that a factory thing? Stupid question but I mean you arent gonna do that with a regular steel body correct?

So if you had a steel black body and wanted a polished one...do you switch up? Get a buffer and go to work for a decade? Whats the word on that?

Thanks.

Jesse

Shiney sides you mean? Some might have insulation on the sides...for hauling asphalt...covered with stainless steel or aluminum that's kept polished. I went cheap/lazy and did mine with galvanized. In the picture...(truck hasn't been this clean for quite some time...) is this what you're talking about?

post-1977-12596367829948_thumb.jpg

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Shiney sides you mean? Some might have insulation on the sides...for hauling asphalt...covered with stainless steel or aluminum that's kept polished. I went cheap/lazy and did mine with galvanized. In the picture...(truck hasn't been this clean for quite some time...) is this what you're talking about?

Pretty much yeah thats it...I mean sometimes you see some so shiny it looked borderline chrome..but I think what you have is what Im talking about, it almost looks like shined up polished aluminum...

"You som'bitches could'nt close an umbrella!"

Pretty much yeah thats it...I mean sometimes you see some so shiny it looked borderline chrome..but I think what you have is what Im talking about, it almost looks like shined up polished aluminum...

Or maybe more like this...

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2215855&dlr=1

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

For the most part dump bodies/trailers you see are polished aluminum, it's just like polishing aluminum wheels except more work. Polished aluminum is very high maaintenance. the body in the pic i have posted is aluminum, and has been kept fairly clean in the past 20 years. Yes highly polished aluminum will look like chrome. The key is to start with a body that doesn't have a ton of dirt in it already. If not then you will have to compound acid maybe even wet sand it, to get some sort of shine.

Edited by mrtwostick

For the most part dump bodies/trailers you see are polished aluminum, it's just like polishing aluminum wheels except more work. Polished aluminum is very high maaintenance. the body in the pic i have posted is aluminum, and has been kept fairly clean in the past 20 years. Yes highly polished aluminum will look like chrome. The key is to start with a body that doesn't have a ton of dirt in it already. If not then you will have to compound acid maybe even wet sand it, to get some sort of shine.

Welcome to the site mrtwostick aka Sundowner.

First time I saw your Macks 17 plus years ago in Chalfont(H&K) they are CLEAN rides.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Welcome to the site mrtwostick aka Sundowner.

First time I saw your Macks 17 plus years ago in Chalfont(H&K) they are CLEAN rides.

Hey thanks.....i'm just a driver but the boss is like a brother to me so it's all good. It's funny the two oldest trucks in the fleet are the cleanest!