E-7 Etech

mackcx

So my uncle took decided to purchase a 2001 cx with the heads to the engine missing. He took the engine apart to see why the previous owner would take the heads out and noticed that every single roller alng the camshaft was busted. The camshaft also looks shot to crap. Does anyone know what would cause the this to happen or has anyone experienced anything like this?? Thanks, Danny

So my uncle took decided to purchase a 2001 cx with the heads to the engine missing. He took the engine apart to see why the previous owner would take the heads out and noticed that every single roller alng the camshaft was busted. The camshaft also looks shot to crap. Does anyone know what would cause the this to happen or has anyone experienced anything like this?? Thanks, Danny

Hope he got it cheap!

Mack Hada rash of bad Cam s at times with these!You say there smashed or are they pitted and to hell ,the rollers go flat some times If the rollers are smashed as you say then the engine has likly been over sped and I would be looking at valves and bent push tubes yada yada!

Look at the piston tops for witnesss marks.

• 3 months later...

Hope he got it cheap!

Mack Hada rash of bad Cam s at times with these!You say there smashed or are they pitted and to hell ,the rollers go flat some times If the rollers are smashed as you say then the engine has likly been over sped and I would be looking at valves and bent push tubes yada yada!

Look at the piston tops for witnesss marks.

The unit pumps gaskets on E7 will developp leaks when using low sulfur diesel if no additives are used, then fuel will drip directly on to the cam and it can lead to a big ol mess.

If you're lucky and the dealer likes you can get the cam changed under policy, they replaced mine last summer with 650k on it, i had to pay labour and gaskets! but with the heads gone, Im guessing you're beat! and remember when you hear the pop'n under the hood shut it down and save some cash!

Edited by bobo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What kind of additives should be used with this low sulfer fuel

I have used Howes Meaner Power Cleaner,the small bottle. It costs a bit more than than most but it si my favorites.Engine runs smoother with it. Also noticed extended life on injector nozzle. I live in southwestern Quebec,Canada and the refineries will put out a winter formula around mid october,what i call -40c diesel,even though the outside temperature still reaches +12Cel.in the afternoon.That fuel is great for winter but in warm weather i can tell just by the soud of the motor that i have caught a batch of -40 fuel. This said my 99 E7 still developped fuel seepage at 920 000 miles at the unit pumps, probably because of the unit pump O rings.In any case taking regular oil samples would be a good investement if you plan to keep your truck for an extended perido of time.I have seen quite a few different fleets bring in their E7 for fuel contamination in oil(more than 2%is abnormal)that is why i am ringin the alarm bell.