Need Help With A Mack Dump Real Value Today

have a chance to get a 61 b61 tamdem axle dump truck a rust free western truck has the therodyne turbo engine need painted and im sure some mech issues fixed what do you think in todays market its worth ?? if i had to sell it today ?? with not alot of icing on the value ??

I don't think this question can be answered accurately without a lot more information.

Photos might help, and a complete accurate description of the truck's condition. Even then, the trucks

are worth whatever somebody wants to pay. These are antiques, and they are mostly toys for their owners.

And everybody's got a different opinion of what is acceptable to them.

Is the truck a project truck - or is it a running, working truck with current license and inspections?

Does it have good rubber, good brakes, updated dual brake system, modern air line plumbing, decent frame, decent cab, decent interior, good transmissions, clutch, springs etc., etc.?? These things all cost money, and the list goes on and on.

For instance - a fresh set of ten virgin radial tires and tubeless wheels are worth over $3,000.00. If they are already on the truck, it would make a big difference. If the springs or trunnions are cracked or broken, it's expensive.

If you have to put a clutch in the truck; a clutch, pressure plate and flywheel resurfacing with both bearings replaced will cost upwards of $1,000.00 just for the parts before you're done. And it's a pretty common need in an old truck.

The paint job is $4,000. to $6,000.00 for a decent job with minimal bodywork, and could easily top $10,000.00 for a show quality job. Welding, dent beating and panel repair are going to add on to that price.

I guess my point is - any answer you get here, for the question as you have asked it, will be no more than a guess,

and probably not very useable for making your decision.

I really do not mean to sound sarcastic, but -

You need to be happy with the price. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think. You know how you are going to use it.

If you're just going to play around with the old truck, maybe you can overlook a lot of it's imperfections. If you're going to work the old girl, you might need to be certain the truck is up to the task. If it's a restoration project, you can't pay too much for an excellent body and frame.

We just want to see you get the truck and have fun with it!

Paul Van Scott

I don't think this question can be answered accurately without a lot more information.

Photos might help, and a complete accurate description of the truck's condition. Even then, the trucks

are worth whatever somebody wants to pay. These are antiques, and they are mostly toys for their owners.

And everybody's got a different opinion of what is acceptable to them.

Is the truck a project truck - or is it a running, working truck with current license and inspections?

Does it have good rubber, good brakes, updated dual brake system, modern air line plumbing, decent frame, decent cab, decent interior, good transmissions, clutch, springs etc., etc.?? These things all cost money, and the list goes on and on.

For instance - a fresh set of ten virgin radial tires and tubeless wheels are worth over $3,000.00. If they are already on the truck, it would make a big difference. If the springs or trunnions are cracked or broken, it's expensive.

If you have to put a clutch in the truck; a clutch, pressure plate and flywheel resurfacing with both bearings replaced will cost upwards of $1,000.00 just for the parts before you're done. And it's a pretty common need in an old truck.

The paint job is $4,000. to $6,000.00 for a decent job with minimal bodywork, and could easily top $10,000.00 for a show quality job. Welding, dent beating and panel repair are going to add on to that price.

I guess my point is - any answer you get here, for the question as you have asked it, will be no more than a guess,

and probably not very useable for making your decision.

I really do not mean to sound sarcastic, but -

You need to be happy with the price. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think. You know how you are going to use it.

If you're just going to play around with the old truck, maybe you can overlook a lot of it's imperfections. If you're going to work the old girl, you might need to be certain the truck is up to the task. If it's a restoration project, you can't pay too much for an excellent body and frame.

We just want to see you get the truck and have fun with it!

Paul Van Scott

Mr. Van Scott is exactly right. I bought a mostly restored 61 to move a bulldozer maybe once or twice a week at most, could have bought a cheaper truck, but i wanted to move it with class, plus, its a big attention getter so i think its good advertisement for business. It also carries me back to my younger days, maybe makes me feel younger (cept when im crawling arround under it wrenching). I paid a lot for it, have spent a lot on it making sure it stays roadworthy and safe, parts are high, but dont matter, will drive it till im gone, wonderful old trucks. If you get u one, good luck with it and have fun, (and patience and ask a lot of questions)