Firewall Insulation

I'm trying to find a new firewall insulator for my 86 R688. Mack says it is not available. Where can I get it or what can I use as an alternative?

Check out Dale Hamilton's B67, type in Hi Yo Silver Rides Again, in the search block and scroll down.

I know this stuff dynamat it may not be original but it may work,

again some thing I might ask Rob on

That "Dynamat" is some good stuff I'll tell you. For dinner(s) last week I had baked beans, jalapeño laced taco sauce for my burritos, a whole head of cabbage with my corned beef, plus drank nearly a gallon of spiced tomato juice from some of Other Dog's garden tomatos. On top of that I finished off a large bowl of mustard potato salad and 1/2 dozen of deviled eggs. Momma cooked me up a few hard boiled eggs too but I was too full to finish em.

When my bowels started to get a little "queezy", I fashioned a diaper from a 3 foot square section of "Dynamat" and headed to the public library downtown; (still haven't fixed the floor under the toilet at home). Upon backing up to the HVAC inlet I was able to practice flatulence in E minor, and C sharp, with nobody hearing nothing! That stuff sure does mufflle sound!! With the exception of a filtered air silent tornado, all was unoticed. I had to grab my cheeks to cease the flap, and depart quickly as a "Funk" filled the building. I surely didn't want to get blamed for something I didn't do.

That "Dynamat" stuff is pretty good. I think I'll use it in my truck. Best of all, it is not an irritant and is hypo-allergenic.

Actually, I've used several variants of "Dynamat" and there are many product just as good in quality that are less expensive to purchase. The more dense the media whether it be fiberglass, closed cell foam, or any of the like sound attenuation and difusion media all work well. If you go this type of route be sure to get the Mylar faced material which will serve to reflect the radiant heat that comes through the firewall from the engine. Use a heat resistant adhesive to adhere the material to a cleaned substrate . You will also need to cover the insulation blanket with some type of cap. I would get a sheet of black vinyl material and glue this to the mylar face of the blanket. Vinyl sheeting is readily available from most upholstery shops. One other thing; Ask if the vinyl is UV stabilized so it will not fade with sunlight.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information fellas.

That "Dynamat" is some good stuff I'll tell you. For dinner(s) last week I had baked beans, jalapeño laced taco sauce for my burritos, a whole head of cabbage with my corned beef, plus drank nearly a gallon of spiced tomato juice from some of Other Dog's garden tomatos. On top of that I finished off a large bowl of mustard potato salad and 1/2 dozen of deviled eggs. Momma cooked me up a few hard boiled eggs too but I was too full to finish em.

When my bowels started to get a little "queezy", I fashioned a diaper from a 3 foot square section of "Dynamat" and headed to the public library downtown; (still haven't fixed the floor under the toilet at home). Upon backing up to the HVAC inlet I was able to practice flatulence in E minor, and C sharp, with nobody hearing nothing! That stuff sure does mufflle sound!! With the exception of a filtered air silent tornado, all was unoticed. I had to grab my cheeks to cease the flap, and depart quickly as a "Funk" filled the building. I surely didn't want to get blamed for something I didn't do.

That "Dynamat" stuff is pretty good. I think I'll use it in my truck. Best of all, it is not an irritant and is hypo-allergenic.

Actually, I've used several variants of "Dynamat" and there are many product just as good in quality that are less expensive to purchase. The more dense the media whether it be fiberglass, closed cell foam, or any of the like sound attenuation and difusion media all work well. If you go this type of route be sure to get the Mylar faced material which will serve to reflect the radiant heat that comes through the firewall from the engine. Use a heat resistant adhesive to adhere the material to a cleaned substrate . You will also need to cover the insulation blanket with some type of cap. I would get a sheet of black vinyl material and glue this to the mylar face of the blanket. Vinyl sheeting is readily available from most upholstery shops. One other thing; Ask if the vinyl is UV stabilized so it will not fade with sunlight.

Rob