Hello Everyone,

My name is Phil and I joined the group to obtain some infomation for 2

models I want to build. As a kid I saw a big red Mack R series pumper

with the MacDonald, PA. Vol. F.D. and fell in love with it, but don't

remember much about it.

So, I want to build a model of a pumper on an "R" Series chassis and

have the following questions:

1. Can this be a 4x4?

2. What kind of engines and transmissions came with this model?

3. Can this be on a 4x6 or 6x6chassis?

4. Was there ever an extended/"Crew Cab" available?

The other truck I want to do is on an "L" Series chassis.

What kind of engines and transmissions came with this model?

And my last questions is are there any good books out there with lots

of photos on both?

Thank you for your help.

Phil

The R model pumpers that I have seen had many diffrent engine options. Early R models could have had gas engines or diesel. Diesels were more common. 237,285,300,315,350 HP we likely the most commin installed engines. Transmissions could be automatic or manual 5 speeds. possible more manual gear boxes were offered but that would depend on what the buyer speced. I have seen off road mack fire trucks that were 4x4 but the 4x2 seam to be more common for city fire trucks . have seen many 6x4 tankers also. I have not seen a crew cab R but I have seen a pic of an open top R model fire truck.

ask some of the guys in the Mack fire truck section of this site. those guys will know first hand what you are asking

Trent

The R model pumpers that I have seen had many diffrent engine options. Early R models could have had gas engines or diesel. Diesels were more common. 237,285,300,315,350 HP we likely the most commin installed engines. Transmissions could be automatic or manual 5 speeds. possible more manual gear boxes were offered but that would depend on what the buyer speced. I have seen off road mack fire trucks that were 4x4 but the 4x2 seam to be more common for city fire trucks . have seen many 6x4 tankers also. I have not seen a crew cab R but I have seen a pic of an open top R model fire truck.

ask some of the guys in the Mack fire truck section of this site. those guys will know first hand what you are asking

Trent

Thanks for the reply. It is a big help and the guys at the mack Fire Truck group sent me over here, by the way.