1968-69 R600 Mack

HI GUYS,

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT A R-MODEL WE ARE WORKING ON. THE AIR CLEANER WE HAVE FOR THE TRUCK HAS TWO HOLES IN THE AIR CLEANER, AVOUISLEY ONE OF THE HOLES IS FOR THE TURBO INLET BUT THE OTHE HOLE HAS A SMALL AIR CYLINDER IN IT, :unsure: ATTACHED TO A FLAP. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY COULD DESCRIBE TO ME WAHT IS FOR AND HOW IT GETS HOOKED UP TO THE TRACTOR. :unsure::angry:

That little air cylinder was hooked up to the air line that operates the windshield wiper motor.

The flap the cylinder is connected to is designed to allow the air cleaner to draw air from under the hood when it is raining or snowing.

The thought behind this apparently was that when it's raining or snowing, the wipers will be on, hence connecting that cylinder to the wiper air line will ensure that the air cleaner is drawing underhood air during rain or snow conditions.

The reason for drawing underhood air is to prevent sucking in rain or snow into the oil bath air cleaner and contaminating the oil bath with water.

Some trucks in that time frame had a manual control on the dash for outside air or underhood air instead of the air actuated type.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"