Pin Striping On Mack Fire Trucks

linmac

I am in the final stages of restoring my B85F Ladder Truck. I am anxious to find out about the pin-striping. I have a guy who is capable of painting it on, but it appears to me that in the States there may be a company that sells this stuff as transfers. Things like scrolls and ensignias and straight lines in the original gold leaf style. When we soda blasted the paint of the truck the pin-striping and lettering that was on it was transfers. Can anyone help, we information as to were I might be able to buy these letters and pin-striping? Regards Graham

Graham,

Your truck was most likely gold leafed at the Mack Factory. Then the local gold leaf striper would add more details after it was delivered. They did not use any transfers on the B model Macks. There are scrolls that were standard , the "Mack" lettering on the rear was standard. The rest of the gold leaf and lettering was determined by the customer. There are templates for the scrolls and Mack lettering that our local gold leaf guy has, and since you are down under, I am pretty sure he would let your guy use them.

Firemack

• 2 weeks later...
Graham,

Your truck was most likely gold leafed at the Mack Factory. Then the local gold leaf striper would add more details after it was delivered. They did not use any transfers on the B model Macks. There are scrolls that were standard , the "Mack" lettering on the rear was standard. The rest of the gold leaf and lettering was determined by the customer. There are templates for the scrolls and Mack lettering that our local gold leaf guy has, and since you are down under, I am pretty sure he would let your guy use them.

Firemack

Firemack, Many thanks for the reply. Is there some way I can contact your guy direct? My Ladder truck was first delivered to The Town of Tonawanda NY Brighton. According to the photos sent to me by the Mack Museum, it had Town Of Tonawanda on the side on both sides, it had an insigna on both doors indicating the number 5 and it had BRIGHTON on the hood, we call it the bonnet. Also, you wouldn't know where I could get two axes? Mine did not come with the original axes. Regards Graham

pin striping and gold leafing is a lost art. I bought some brushes and played around with some ideas but am not ready to do work on someones truck. Best advice is ask some local hot rodders if they know of a local pin stripe guy. Hard to find but they are out there. alot of these guys can do the gold leaf as well.

Good luck

Trent

pin striping and gold leafing is a lost art. I bought some brushes and played around with some ideas but am not ready to do work on someones truck. Best advice is ask some local hot rodders if they know of a local pin stripe guy. Hard to find but they are out there. alot of these guys can do the gold leaf as well.

Good luck

Trent

You're right, pin striping is almost a lost art. I do have a really good pin stripe guy but he is not confident with the gold leafing. I guess I'll get him to do a sample to see what I think. Regards Graham

Graham,

My contact is Danny Danz, P.O. Box 172 Woxall, PA 18979. Phone 215-234-8916. He is always busy so you might be best to write him a letter to describe what you need. I attached a picture of the work he did on our truck, You can see the gold leaf and the swirl in the gold if you look closely.

I am a member of Spaamfaa http://www.spaamfaa.com/, and attended SPAAMFAA meetings that teach how to do goldleaf if you cannot find anyone down under that still does gold leaf. Here is another guy that I have seen his work, but have not met him personally. He is also well known.http://www.firegold.com/fire.htm

I am attending a Spaamfaa Fire flea market this Sunday in Allentown not far from the Mack factory. If you still need the 2 axes, I am sure I can find 2 for sale. I think they go for around $25-40 dollars each. Let me know.

Send me email to let me know if you need specific help.

Firemack

Graham,

My contact is Danny Danz, P.O. Box 172 Woxall, PA 18979. Phone 215-234-8916. He is always busy so you might be best to write him a letter to describe what you need. I attached a picture of the work he did on our truck, You can see the gold leaf and the swirl in the gold if you look closely.

I am a member of Spaamfaa http://www.spaamfaa.com/, and attended SPAAMFAA meetings that teach how to do goldleaf if you cannot find anyone down under that still does gold leaf. Here is another guy that I have seen his work, but have not met him personally. He is also well known.http://www.firegold.com/fire.htm

I am attending a Spaamfaa Fire flea market this Sunday in Allentown not far from the Mack factory. If you still need the 2 axes, I am sure I can find 2 for sale. I think they go for around $25-40 dollars each. Let me know.

Send me email to let me know if you need specific help.

Firemack

I would be very greatfull for two axes. If you are able to get them please let me know the cost and I will forward a bank draft to cover the cost of them and shipping. I am very appreciative of your help. Regards Graham

• 2 months later...

Linmack,

I recently had my B85F tiller truck lettered and we used Dale Snyder of Macungie. Dale worked for mack from 1966 to 1984 when they stopped producing fire trucks. All dale did was gold leaf fire trucks he would be the guy to talk to.. also i dont know anyone that can gold leaf better than dale.. he is the mack gold leaf master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Allison

IMG_3800.jpg

Linmack,

I recently had my B85F tiller truck lettered and we used Dale Snyder of Macungie. Dale worked for mack from 1966 to 1984 when they stopped producing fire trucks. All dale did was gold leaf fire trucks he would be the guy to talk to.. also i dont know anyone that can gold leaf better than dale.. he is the mack gold leaf master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!