B 85

pavrguy3

1961 b 85 just arrived from the junkyard, pics to follow this weekend i hope! 707 gas motor, no batteries in the truck, this truck a 6 volt system ? will i need 2 batteries or 4 ? rear brakes are "frozen" from sitting, will freeing the rear brakes be a chore ? thanks for your help !

Pavrguy,

Most of the B85's had 4- 6 volts , positive ground- everything on the fire trucks is 12 volts. I changed the 4 - 6volts over to 2- 12 volts positive ground. You can change to negative ground but that takes more time, and you will need to repolarize the generator, so I just left it as positive ground.

Also the rear brakes have aluminum shoes if you have hydraulic brakes so be very careful taking them apart and assembling them so you don't break the castings. If you have air brakes then you should have no problem just back off the slack adjustors and then work the wheel back and forth until you get it loose, or you may have to remove the drums and clean up the drums and shoes.

Good Luck

Firemack