What Maxitorque Box Is This?

jeffbyrne

I have a 1968/1970 Mack R685RS, it has a Maxitorque, it has 4 cases, i.e. clutch housing, front compound & 2 main cases. It has 2 gear levers in the front compound case. There is no shift instructions in cab and has no engine so have never been able to drive it. I beleive the engine was a 237 maxidyne. There is no airshift on the box just 2 levers. The model on the side of main case is X1070. I have a D107 10 speed and an X107 6 speed. I'm presently going thru my Mack manuals to see if I can fathom it out . Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide . Jeffro

Its a TRDXL1070.

That was the early 6 speed which instead of having a lo hole , it had overdrive when the compound is in hi.

Reverse was on the main stick in those.

Once you got into 5th direct, then you'd shift the compound into overdrive, kinda just the opposite of the later TRXL107 & TRXL1071 6 speeds.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Its a TRDXL1070.

That was the early 6 speed which instead of having a lo hole , it had overdrive when the compound is in hi.

Reverse was on the main stick in those.

Once you got into 5th direct, then you'd shift the compound into overdrive, kinda just the opposite of the later TRXL107 & TRXL1071 6 speeds.

Thanks HK, I was told it was a 6 spd but got confused by the extra case and no airshift to the rear. Also no shift pattern lable and no engine. Thanx Jeffro

Thanks HK, I was told it was a 6 spd but got confused by the extra case and no airshift to the rear. Also no shift pattern lable and no engine. Thanx Jeffro

Hi Jeffro - I also had a 1969/70 R model with a Maxidyne and the 6 speed Overdrive. They took the place of the double Overdrive Quad Boxes when the Maxidynes were fitted as we were told that the Quads would not stand up to the higher torque. They still used the Quads with the 250 HP C Motor. By using that box with the .6 overdrive, you could use the old slow diff ratios. The one I have , has 7.49 diffs in it and that used to do about 58 MPH. The original diffs were about 8.25 and Western Transport changed them when the truck started doing the Toowoomba to Perth run in about 1971. Best regards - Michael.

Hi Jeffro - I also had a 1969/70 R model with a Maxidyne and the 6 speed Overdrive. They took the place of the double Overdrive Quad Boxes when the Maxidynes were fitted as we were told that the Quads would not stand up to the higher torque. They still used the Quads with the 250 HP C Motor. By using that box with the .6 overdrive, you could use the old slow diff ratios. The one I have , has 7.49 diffs in it and that used to do about 58 MPH. The original diffs were about 8.25 and Western Transport changed them when the truck started doing the Toowoomba to Perth run in about 1971. Best regards - Michael.

Thanx Michael, for a moment I thought I had a 12 spd, but the no airshift had me confused. I hve since found a pic from Nov 68, a 237 with the same looking box, it says TRDXL107 with 'creeper' gear. My 1960 B 61 T is an ex 'WESTERN' unit also, it is in a very sad state, but complete. Regards Jeffro .