Tare Weight

Guest MACKAMOKE

Guest MACKAMOKE

Does anybody have an educated guess on the tare of 1970 S/A Diamond Reo day cab? I need to move it from long island to Atlantic City Area and was wondering if my dually and gooseneck flatbed would work.

I think there is one weigh station between plus NY & NJ staties all over. If not, do any of you haulers out there need to vist the Shore? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Mike :huh:

Does anybody have an educated guess on the tare of 1970 S/A Diamond Reo day cab? I need to move it from long island to Atlantic City Area and was wondering if my dually and gooseneck flatbed would work.

I think there is one weigh station between plus NY & NJ staties all over. If not, do any of you haulers out there need to vist the Shore? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Hi Mike, An educated guess would be not more than 12,000lbs since that truck is made out of steel and not plastic. Don't know the engine, trans or rear but there's got to be a scale near you somewhere. Don't know the route up north but from exit 7A on the NJ Pike to 195E to 537W to 539 So. to the GS Parkway onto AC via 30, 40, or the AC Expressway there's no scales. On the GS Parkway there's a weigh station just south of exit 98 so taking the GSP from 539 will keep you out of trouble. Bob :SMOKIE-RT:

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

Guest MACKAMOKE

Hi Mike, An educated guess would be not more than 12,000lbs since that truck is made out of steel and not plastic. Don't know the engine, trans or rear but there's got to be a scale near you somewhere. Don't know the route up north but from exit 7A on the NJ Pike to 195E to 537W to 539 So. to the GS Parkway onto AC via 30, 40, or the AC Expressway there's no scales. On the GS Parkway there's a weigh station just south of exit 98 so taking the GSP from 539 will keep you out of trouble. Bob :SMOKIE-RT:

thanks for your help

Mike :thumb:

where exactly in long island are you going? Only expressway out there is the Long island expressway (495). There are numerous other major roads like sunrise highway (rt27) or northern boulevard. My advice is to make sure you dont get on any parkways here in NY, no trucks/trailers allowed on them, period (some have VERY low bridges, 9-10 feet and see truckers stuck on em all the time). No weigh stations in NYC or LI BUT I have seen portable weigh stations setup once in a rare while. Dont have any signs of overloading or broken lights etc., cops here in NYC, Nassau & Suffolk are rabbid and will pull you over of they see anything.

Take the outer crossing bridge from NJ and take 440 north till you get to the Staten Island expressway(I278). Take SI expressway East and over the Verazanno Bridge. And take the BQE East (Keep off the Belt Parkway!) Then keep an eye on the signs because after the Kosciusko the BQE forks, right & middle lane goes to the LIE which is what you want. Take LIE east to where ever you need to go (keep out of the HOV lane and left lanes on all highways!). Id try to stay on the major highways because your less likely to run into one of those portable weigh stations. There are other routes but it helps when I know where your going.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Hi,

I think that if your gooseneck trailer is an dual tandem ( 24,000 gvw) you would be ok. If you are tring it with a tandem trailer (14,000) you might have problems. I don't think the trailer tires can handle it. When I hauled my b 73 from Utah to Indiana The biggest problem I had was tires, I didn't have heavy enough tires on the trailer and had some bias ply on one axle and radials on the other, It pretty much disolved the bias ply tires running with the radials, I don't know why for sure. Those load range on trailer and light truck tires mean quite a bit. I also found that when I pulled into the weigh stations that as long as I didn't have a DOT number on my pickup, It is my truck, trailer, and my junk on the trailer I was told not to stop at the weigh station. I don't know how that is in the new england area but I made it all the way home, didn't stop at the scale houses never got pulled over. Fred

15 gears...no waiting!