MP7 vs MP8

I’m looking at purchasing some newer trucks. 2019 Anthems with the MP7 / Mdrive set around 445hp. 
I’ve had great luck with the MP8 / D13 platform.

what are the main difference between the MP8 and MP7?  
Any known issues or things to look for?

we run light loads on flat ground, so the minimal difference in power shouldn’t be a huge concern. 

MP7 usually has fewer rocker shaft bolts than an MP8 from what I've seen, along with a more complicated EGR setup. The 11 liter also has a weird timing gear setup with one idler gear bolt being a flywheel housing bolt, which is a bigger pain in the rear from what techs tell me. As far as reliability goes, I feel I see more MP7's have major repairs than MP8's, but that very well could be a sample size issue. My last job at a fleet had nothing but 13 liters and we had few major engine issues, while a competitor had 11 liters and were constantly towing them to the dealer. I personally would recommend the MP8, but my opinion only comes from observation as a parts guy. 

EDIT: I asked one of our best techs about the difference and the MP7 was designed for heavy duty vocational work. We see them a lot in trash trucks, cement mixers, dump trucks, etc. It makes since to me now that I know, the fewer rocker shaft bolts are massive compared to the 12 small ones on the 13 liter. I guess it would depend on what your trucks are going to be used for. If you've had good luck with the MP8's, I'd probably stick with that combo. Just make sure to change the air dryer cartridge reliably and to keep your eyes and ears out for air leaks in the bellhousing. I've also been told keeping the RPM's lower keeps the mDrive from killing itself as much, but I don't think there's really much that can be done to avoid it. 

Edited by The Heinz
  • Like 1

I've been out of it for a year or two But agree with your assessment mostly! Unless its changed ! What I saw and didn't like was using shims for the set of the rockers DUMB idea! Means a guy is AGAIN Tied to the dealer for a shim kit for what is normally a simple task!  Mp8 had normality to it Proper screws and lock bolts ! And aside from the Bull gear failures and Decent engines aside from the cup issue that Should be resolved by now !Of all the new engines the MP8 and 10 were basically Decent engines ! and of coarse the half baked emissions stuff! Everyone is dealing with that junk!  

22 hours ago, fjh said:

I've been out of it for a year or two But agree with your assessment mostly! Unless its changed ! What I saw and didn't like was using shims for the set of the rockers DUMB idea! Means a guy is AGAIN Tied to the dealer for a shim kit for what is normally a simple task!  Mp8 had normality to it Proper screws and lock bolts ! And aside from the Bull gear failures and Decent engines aside from the cup issue that Should be resolved by now !Of all the new engines the MP8 and 10 were basically Decent engines ! and of coarse the half baked emissions stuff! Everyone is dealing with that junk!  

I think they went away from the shim setup, but I could be mistaken, and they certainly fixed the cup issue after the early models of the engine; doesn't mean cups and injectors are flawless, we see a lot of failures there still! We have had quite a few gear train failures in MP7's now that you make me think of it. The MP10 honestly sold really poorly, at least in our area. I've only seen one truck to my knowledge with that engine.  

1 hour ago, The Heinz said:

I think they went away from the shim setup, but I could be mistaken, and they certainly fixed the cup issue after the early models of the engine; doesn't mean cups and injectors are flawless, we see a lot of failures there still! We have had quite a few gear train failures in MP7's now that you make me think of it. The MP10 honestly sold really poorly, at least in our area. I've only seen one truck to my knowledge with that engine.  

Do to our terrain we could have been still selling Mp10 here it is a brute pulling machine when everything works right! Volvo chose to shut Mack out on that deal! Hope your right about the shim thing stupid idea! The MP8 is set up much better a bit more mechanic friendly !