Need help on an old EM6-300l

JamesRich

Hey guys, needing some help that the local dealer can’t help me with.  Here’s the back ground. 
I’m working on an 89 econodyne with a EM6-300L. When I got to this shop the truck was parked, dropped a valve in number 6 in 2015. Not knowing anything about the history of the motor & noticing scoring in two cylinders from broken rings we decided to do an inframe. So all new pistons, liners, & rod & main bearings, & had heads rebuilt. Put engine back together & set all the valve with Mack’s procedure. Motor started up & ran beautiful! After warming up motor & going to retorque the heads, when I pulled valve covers I found it was dry, very little oil was getting to the top. Probably why a valve stuck & hit a piston. After some reading found the cam bearings being worn will drop the oil pressure to the top. Pulled cam & it was worn pretty bad too. Got new bearings knocked in but couldn’t find a new cam anywhere. A company offered to regrind our cam for $500 so hell yea sent it to them. Once I put cam back in motor & set all the valves again, I noticed that some of the exhaust valves had .115 of clearance if I turn the motor 1/3 backwards after setting them the exhaust valve on that cylinder has .115 of clearance. So I pulled the timing cover off & found to get the #1 cylinder on compression stroke by watching the valves, the timing marks on the cam are 180* from the timing mark on the crank. Shouldn’t #1 be on compression stroke with the marks lined up? I’ve been trying to find a duration number for the cam so I can check it with a degree wheel but can find it anywhere. The local dealer doesn’t even have info on EM6’s just 7 on up. Does anyone know the duration spects for a stock EM6-300L camshaft? 

• Like 1

1 and 6 are on the same path! One more turn will get you where you need to be! Set the valves off the marks on the damper 1 5 3 6 2 4 valves rocking on six you will be close ! Use the marks on the damper! 1-6 5-2 3-4 !as for oiling make sure the correct oil pedestal gasket was used during over haul there are several difrent versions! Don’t sweat the valve looseness on back up it’s likley dynartard cam and that is there for a reason!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I know the procedure for setting the valves, I set them after the inframe & it was good. It’s only after someone regrinding our cam that these problems came up. I’m looking for the spects for this cam so I can check the degree of valve opening to see if they ground the cam off zero. I just need the degrees the intake is supposed to open & the dealers around here don’t have it. Was hoping someone who works on old Mack’s might have it. 
James