2008 Mack MP8 Engine

MP8’s before DEF . Had HP ratings of 415, 425, 445,455 and 485. Torque output was 1540, 1560, 1660 or 1700. This all was mostly determined by if you had the Econodyne, Maxicruise or Maxidyne version . The 415C has more torque than a 445M 1660vs1650. 

7 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

MP8’s before DEF . Had HP ratings of 415, 425, 445,455 and 485. Torque output was 1540, 1560, 1660 or 1700. This all was mostly determined by if you had the Econodyne, Maxicruise or Maxidyne version . The 415C has more torque than a 445M 1660vs1650. 

Thank you for the info Mackpro! What are the hp and torque limits for custom tuning? 

If EGR deleted I would not go above 445.  Factory Export MP8  with no emissions are limited to 440 HP. We have several factory export 2016 Volvos running around here that have EGR only  ( no DEF/DPF) and they are 465 HP. Don’t know how they got here but at least 10 I know of . You could have the dealership bump you to 485  if you have a Mack trans or one of the larger fuller trans , usually it’s really cheap. 

35 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

If EGR deleted I would not go above 445.  Factory Export MP8  with no emissions are limited to 440 HP. We have several factory export 2016 Volvos running around here that have EGR only  ( no DEF/DPF) and they are 465 HP. Don’t know how they got here but at least 10 I know of . You could have the dealership bump you to 485  if you have a Mack trans or one of the larger fuller trans , usually it’s really cheap. 

That's valuable information for sure. I see these aftermarket tuners that claim they can remove some components and tune the ecm to around 560 hp and 19XX torque. Is that possible with stock components? I know there are programs that work with stock components like that for Cat, Detroit, Cummins, etc....

The only difference in the HP levels is in the program. Turbos and injectors and other engine components are the same regardless of HP rating. I’m not to sure on any tuners on the market . And I’m even more skeptical of the deletes being done locally. The 485 HP tri axles GU’s running around here coming out of the quarry at 80,000 pounds seem to have no complaints on power.  The last  GU’s and newer GR’s around here are all spec’ed with Allison’s and 455 MP’s  and run with the older 485’s with no problem. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

The only difference in the HP levels is in the program. Turbos and injectors and other engine components are the same regardless of HP rating. I’m not to sure on any tuners on the market . And I’m even more skeptical of the deletes being done locally. The 485 HP tri axles GU’s running around here coming out of the quarry at 80,000 pounds seem to have no complaints on power.  The last  GU’s and newer GR’s around here are all spec’ed with Allison’s and 455 MP’s  and run with the older 485’s with no problem. 

That sounds like what I've been thinking. This one has a 10 speed in particular. I'm not really sure on the rears. I've always been skeptical on the tunes and deletes from locals.