'06 E7 Engine Specs/Common Issues? Newbie

MR688S

Hi All,

I bought an '06 MACK MR688S COE Tandem Axle Road Tractor with 8800 hrs. on it to do general short haul runs with a 53' dry van hauling lightweight/high cube material.

It has the E7 engine and an Allison 6 speed auto trans., class 8, air brakes, etc...

It's a former US Postal Vehicle, so, not sure how good the maint. and daily treatment was and I'm going to go through it and do all maint. and checks.  It runs well right now, but I'm a preventative maint. nut because I don't like to breakdown on the road.

If any of you can let me know your experiences with the E-7 12 liter engine or direct me to online specs, common issues reports, etc... that would be great!

Thanks!

MackMR688S.jpg

MackMR688Sa.jpg

MackMR688Sb.jpg

MackMR688Sc.jpg

That's quite a find- The 2006 Post Office purchase was mostly CX conventionals, but I'd heard rumors there were a few MR cabovers too. Yours is one the best MR tractors ever built, with the modern electronic Allison transmission instead of the crude old valves and fluid controlled transmission. The aerodynamics are awful so it'll get lousy highway mileage, but for maneuvering it tight places it's hard to beat- Even with 53' trailers we could get into some very tight docks with those MRs!

• Like 1

There were only two of them in tandem axle and the other was a non-runner.  There may be more, but I only needed one.  If you have any E-7 engine info beyond specs, I'm interested in finding a service manual, maint. interval chart, etc...  I'll get a line card from the local dealer soon.  Thanks for the reply!