Valve timing

217 In motion

Question

Hi guys I've got a 1993 Mack ultraliner it has the E9 500 Mack V8 motor in it. I took it to the shop for a valve set and we discovered that they had been time to the wrong mark. Wondering if anybody else this experience that's and what was the outcome after it was corrected? My fuel mileage has been terrible but the truck had a more than decent amount of horsepower. The engine brake didn't work worth a damn dynatard. I wondering if I can expect any increase in my fuel mileage as well the effectiveness of the dynatard

01212_5jqC6v78zNs_1200x900.jpg

1 answer to this question

Can't say that timing to the wrong marks would not make a difference in performance and a lot of valve noise. But the fact is that not to many shops even Mack shops have a guy that knows these engines any more. In Az the Mack shop hasn't have an E9 in for service in the last ten years. The only way mine are running is I do the work. Valve timing is not that hard just follow the manual, set the bridge then set the rocker clearance. It is just one more step from setting valves in a Chevy, Ford or Hemi for that matter. Just remember cylinder numberings is like a Ford.

The Dynatard engine brake is just there to make a little noise and not much of anything else.

What are you getting for fuel milage? I am around 5.5-6.0 MPG under 70MPH@1500RPM's or about 4 loaded running 75 MPH@1650RPM's and keeps dropping for every mile faster, just a ballpark range. These E9's can drink with the best of them if the hammer is down. Bobtailing 7.2 and having a blast up to 75 MPH. Power to spare but at the cost of fuel mileage. :thumb: