Cummins joins other OEs in skipping 2016 Mid-America Trucking Show

kscarbel2

Commercial Carrier Journal (CCJ) / January 21, 2016

Cummins announced Jan. 21 it too will forgo exhibiting at the 2016 edition of the Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS), joining all major truck manufacturers in opting to skip the annual trucking trade event.

It will, like the others have announced, return to the show in 2017, the diesel engine maker said in its announcement.

Cummins and the other manufacturers have signaled they intend to participate in the show on a biennial basis from here on, exhibiting in odd-numbered years and skipping even-numbered ones.

Daimler was the first to announce its intentions to skip, and Volvo, Mack, Peterbilt, Kenworth and International later announced the same. Some truck makers say they’d like to see the show itself move to a biennial format, as to avoid the conflicts of the biennial IAA commercial truck show that takes place every other year — even-numbered years — in Hanover, Germany.

Mid-America organizers have maintained they intend to continue the show as an annual event.

Well, golly gee, why do you suppose that is?

It could be the average $25,000 stall fee MATS is charging an exhibitor for this year's 3-day event. I could pay 1/3 of an Engineer's yearly salary or hold an Annual Sales Conference for that amount.

It could be that I'm obligated to use Genesis Exposition Services as the "Exclusive for rigging, sign hanging, ceiling work, etc." Who is Genesis? What is their hourly rate? Why can't I use my labor and insurance - I already pay for them?

It might be that I'm obligated to have Kentucky Exhibition provide all "all utilities and drayage." I'm a truck manufacturer, I don't need your 'help', or fees, with my drayage. What am I paying for?

Perhaps it's MATS' requirement that I use Levy Restaurants, "Exclusive for catering", to supply food for my staff and customers. Who is Levy Catering? What is their hourly rate? What is their markup on food and beverage? Why can't I order from Domino's?

Even a Motel 6 offers free internet. Why must I pay Smart City, "Exclusive for Internet & Telecommunications", a daily fee while confined to the MATS event? What is their daily rate? How are they better than a free service?

Add parking fees, overpriced hot dogs, shitty coffee, inflated hotel rates and other sundry gouges I'll experience at "The Event" and I have to ask, "What took everyone else so long to bail out?"

Oh, couldn't find this info anyplace, but what does the ceremonial head of MATS pull down in the way of a salary every year? It seems like there's a lot of overhead to cover before I can even enjoy the show. Worth it? Apparently not.

• Like 1

The MATS organizer Toby Young is clueless about how a professional truck show is orchestrated. He would do better managing flea markets.

The IAA show in Hanover, Germany, the largest commercial truck event in the world, is a first class event.

It's troubling that the U.S. market to date has never had a professional truck event like IAA.

They have asked American Truck Historical Society (ATHS) to get people to bring antique trucks to fill in empty locations. I don't know how much space has not sold, because it always changes. It will be a strange show this year. I just wonder how much it will hurt attendance?

Aw, shucks. I'll go ahead and sign up for one of those empty 2400sf stalls to park my antique truck and a couple of Barcaloungers for three days. What is MATS paying and will I have access to real food and free internet service?